Asking for a betareader.

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Asking for a betareader.

Asking for a betareader.

I know people here have seen a story I have posted revisions on more than once. I need a betareader to make sure the grammar of a story reads correctly. I used clarospeak, and claroread se, the past week (I discovered clarospeak recently which is free in the chrome webstore). I don't want to give up on the story and as people would say: "abandon the story." I want to check it from a grammar standpoint. What I used which is clarospeak is free on chrome (besides on consulting a book on paragraph sequence and logic). It enables me use color backgrounds (overlays), type words out loud, format the text for dyslexia, read it out loud, and highlight text. I am reluctant to post it in the forum section's fiction workshop since I feel people have seen it, and won't be enthusiastic reading something I posted more than twice (I was told to write flash length stories from a person I consider in good regard). Even though the plot and theme changed drastically I feel this particular way, betareading, is the best approach. What I mean to ask from a grammar standpoint is that I want to check that it reads normal. As we know I am special in that I have a disability known as dyslexia, and since I write despite the disability. If anyone is to give feedback on how the sentences read, not correct my grammar for me I understand (since that is a lot of work). Then I am interested in hearing from you. Taking in mind I have a condition of dyslexia. The story is science fiction and has around 5500 words. I am posting this earlier than I had anticipated but will give plenty of time. Again I am not expecting lots of corrections. Because writers cannot be expected to be corrected on their grammar with extensive revisions (it is all the work of one person). I am asking someone to tell me if true that the grammar mistakes are few. It is a simple yes or no if the grammar in general worked for you (maybe quoting examples). It's up to the reader if they want to comment on anything else such as plot, dialogue, and characterization. So the spag should be few and far between if you want to make some helpful suggestions. Or in the case it is not, tell me that. That is all, I hope someone can read it for me since I am blind to my own writing.

If you have a story that you want read I can also read something but providing my own general impressions. I don't expect you to do the grammar work for me again I repeat. I did all I could with programs and persistence. We can this do this by email if you are interested or my pm. Pm me if you want to do this favor. Thank you. Glass.

An alternate title to the one I am using: Age of the Telepath
    genre: science fiction
    word count:5860 words
    Telepathic detectives are in charge of changing people with the help of art. With the lofty expectations he must live up to his grandfather's expectations, only then will he get to own the painting. If he succeeds he will bring his grandfather back to life.
    Audience description:n/a. (not applicable in this case and I don't want to post it as it is a revision to a story that has been read in the workshop)
    expectations: a cursory look of the manuscript to confirm it is corrected and fixed as a final draft. If not provide examples where I did things wrong such as confuse a reader or the logic didn't click or the grammar is off.
    Timescale: 1 week and 2 or 3 days for this project. Can be extended on request.
    Available formats: any that are needed or that the person agrees to.
    Other information.
    No adult themes, can be rated pg 13.

Thank you for the favor as always as I appreciate the favor.

I posted the story in the writer's workshop for those interested. If you wish you to make comments you can do so there as well.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; March 24th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

*pseudo-rep*
    *'cuz i r limited*

Thank you for volunteering -xXx-. I appreciated the first of your feedback -xXx-. If you ever need a helping hand I am willing to give you a opinion on any writing project you have. I am not busy most of the time. That's why I could handle giving people feedback on long writing projects. I don't do much betareading. Thanks for being willing to sacrifice your time to read it. It's not easy for people who need to work. +plus a reputation point.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    Thanks for being willing to sacrifice your time to read it.
    time management can be tricky.
    this is not a sacrifice of my time.
    you are helping me learn too.
    no worries,

Hi, I'll give it a go if you like. As there's not much activity on the workshop I'm investigating this site a little bit and have just come across this forum. I've no qualifications, poor education behind me and my own writing fallibilities but it says on the beta reading guide that as long as you've read a book you can do it. I think it would be good for me. I've read more than most. 5,860 words is a comfort zone for me so if I find it difficult I'll still get there.

It says on the "READ THIS FIRST" link to communicate on the boards and not in private otherwise I'd have PM'd you.
    I'll look forward to hearing from you. btw - I don't need anything read by you at the moment but thx.

Hello Fatclub. The member called -xXx- has read the manuscript and made some suggestions. I personally think I need to improve it before I let someone else read it. XXX thinks imo the pov could be done done better since the descriptions need to have the characters interact as I write the scene(transitioning scenes). Also, it is in a rewriting phase after what he said. There’s a language barrier and I am taking steps in buying assistive technology and products to overcome my language problems. There is for instance a software which I trust more than Microsoft 2019 to correct my work. Microsoft word 2019 is more inclusive for writers with disabilities now as it helps people cope with dyslexia. I bought a software called wynn reader 7 which imo is better since it has been in use for years (bought by students in some of the united states’ universities and elsewhere). The problem is my cousin has to send the computer back, and that won’t happen until my uncle returns from his trip in florida. He went for business reasons to go there, and I don’t know the exact date he will return. I told XxX, that I needed time for all this to happen.
    Basically, I took xxx’s opinion seriously.

I like that you volunteered. But I need time before to allow this to happen since I am using a friend’s computer. So, in summary he read it, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to send it your way just yet. I am very much honored that you wanted to read something from the beta workshop. But I want it to be as polished as possible.

XXX has been patient. But he has little time he told me. So, I will consider your offer when I solve my problems with my uncle. Would it be okay if I send a pm to you instead when I feel the everything is fixed? Thanks for being considerate enough to want to read it. I hope this is okay. It’s okay to be a reader of any background, everyone is qualified. Everyone is a reader. So yes, sorry I need time to fix it. The computer software will need its time to arrive but when I have something ready then I can if you want pm you. Best regards to you. I have Microsoft 2019 which is for dyslexia, but I need to keep toying with the settings to check my work. I will be working on the new rewrite (mainly addressing xxx’s concerns).

I wrote this post correcting it by editing it with microsoft word 2019. I hope you found what I said is acceptable. It is the truth. You would need to wait if you still volunteer to betaread the work. I do like Microsoft word 2019, but I have to rewrite my story for the grammar problems I noticed. So, I can make sure it is not unpolished because of the grammar which needs to be double-checked. I said the grammar wasn't going to be a problem, but I will need to check the grammar with microsoft word 2019. I want to rewrite the short story and that will take some time. It will take more time to rewrite what I wrote.

Best regards,

Theglasshouse.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; June 12th, 2019 at 10:55 PM.

That's all fine. You sound a bit anxious about it all which I'm sorry about but it shows you're taking it seriously which is great. If the time comes when you could do with some input let me know.
    All the best!

Yes I was a bit anxious since I am insecure like many writers with dyslexia who does everything they can. I finished the story's rewrite today (writing without stopping). I do need some input since my brother is always busy working and has a busy job. It has changed a lot since then and is a 2000 word long story that can be read. I used the microsoft 2019 program. I checked back to see if you were still going to volunteer. I can send it by pm, which I will right now. If you prefer it be sent as an attachment let me know.

I spent all day rewriting it. Take as much time as you need to tell me what worked for you and what didn't. It's short and I need impressions. One concern was show dont tell imo. That's why I cut down all the explanations. I will send you a link of the invention used in the story just to make it all more believable. That is all. Answer back whenever you decide to write back and reply on the short story.Thank you for the help and offer fatclub. I will take the offer on it getting read.

Thanks, I'll read it either in the next few hours or couple of days.