Kick in the head rejection - Page 4

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kick in the head rejection

Isn't organizing indies sorta like the old MAD magazine cartoon about noncomformists, where they all wear jean jackets and carry signs, because it's their uniform? Heh. Just sayin.
    I think it's laudable...and there are interesting arguments on both sides here. But I like busting the paradigm in my own way. Both sides of the OP had a lot of wrong happening. Probably the best thing is to move on, yes? Judge Wapner ain't here.

I felt the same way, Ralph, so I became an editor and now a publisher. On a budget of zero, so it's from the ground up all the time!
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    See; this kind of crap from editors is exactly why I became an Indie.
    I did the conventional track for years, sold articles to magazines, published a book...but the whole submission process took up a lotta writing time, and frequently pissed me off enough to interfere with my writing buzz.
    I simply got tired of having to wait months and months on the whims of an editor. Or spend time trying to write the perfect query letter.
    All the negativity made me not wanna write.

So I ditched it*. Now I'm working with a great bunch of Indies and working to not only sell my own books, but also to legitimize Indie writers.

*Before I became an Indie, I wrote a lot, prolly about 400,000 words worth of shorts, novels, and articles for gun magazines.
    If you have not yet acquired the experience to go solo (roughly 200k words) then you should stay on the conventional track.
    And if you stay on the conventional track, you should obey the rules of that road (assuming you wanna sell anything.)
    I respect your opinion.

Personally I see the conventional route as just being like any business relationship where there is an inherent imbalance of bargaining power. If occasionally kowtowing to the whims of editors rubs the wrong way I understand TOTALLY the decision to bypass the bull crap by going Indie. Especially given how it has taken off over the past few years. If you are the type who relishes the challenge of being an Indie there is no reason not to be an Indie.

Unfortunately a good many people, clearly, are too lazy or arrogant or both to take the Indie route, so they try to have it both ways. They pursue editors, then promptly refuse to adapt to what editors want, refusing to abide by the stated rules, then have the gall to complain about getting kicked to the curb like they're owed someone's time. I'd put anybody who whines about editors not responding and thinks spamming/harassing them firmly in that category.

It is no different to a guy who comes into work thirty minutes late, gets high on his lunch hour, does consistently poor work, generally ignores the rules whenever he disagrees with them, then still believes he deserves a promotion. Many of the rules editors set are not there to piss people off but rather to weed out those who take liberties or otherwise act unprofessionally.

I suppose this comes down to why some people choose to start their own businesses while other people choose to work for an existing one. The Indie writer is a self-employed businessman who enjoys making their own opportunities, having creative control, doing their own marketing, etc. That's great, but it doesn't mean editors and conventional publishing routes aren't relevant or useful. For one plenty of very good writers are not good business people. They're just not. In that case respecting 'this kind of crap' is the price you pay for other people to do the legwork. Seems fair.
    Last edited by luckyscars; March 18th, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

For me, the negativity of the submission process was such a downer that it inhibited my writing...even when I was actively selling articles.
    Sure, you'd sell one to Guns&Ammo, then the next 5 would either be rejections or no-replies (there was one editor in particular at Peterson publishing who NEVER replied to queries, even if you included SASE.)
    Then once you start writing a lot, 50% of your time gets wrapped up in the overhead of chasing publishers.

Worse yet, if you look at the current average payouts for conventionally published books...it's not a whole lot better than what you can make as an Indie.

And Mod, that's not the first time I have been compared to something from MAD magazine.
    At least you didn't say I looked like Alfred.

More like Fester Bestertester
    Vote for Neuman!
    Rejection is so time-consuming. Try freelance journalism. Absolute madness!
    I get high before work, during work, and after work. The boss insists.
    My motto: Write on the drugs, edit on the sobers.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234