Short story template - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short story template

I don't worry or even think about templates, software, etc. Never even considered this. I just set down at my computer open word and start writing, for good or bad. Some of my writings I keep and expand on, other times I throw it into the trash bin. Those that I decide are worth my time, I read then read again, rewrite, and rewrite again. The important thing is that I am not putting myself under any pressure to finish it or even complete it. I am writing completely for my own pleasure and relaxation. It helps my mind escape the everyday pressures of life around me. For a few hours I set my imagination free to carry me where it wills, healing my mind and spirit.

Same. I never use templates or software. I often browse Google Image Search for things that might catch my eye and spark the beginning of a story, or I look for things in the news, in articles I've read, or pieces of conversation that fire my imagination. There are ideas all around. Basically, what I always try to do, is take ordinary people and thrust them into extraordinary, exotic, or bizarre circumstances.
    Me: "You know the way a gun barrel tastes?
    Everyone: Uh... No.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    For a new author trying to get a handle on short story writing, I think the Literary Maneuvers monthly challenge on this site is a good place to study story-craft. The winners of the challenges are typically complete, and effective, stories packed into just 650 words.

https://www.writingforums.com/forums...n-Competitions
    Yes, it certainly has it's place, but these stories have a starting premise. For me the very best short stories have a twist in the tail (or the tale) and when I have managed to write one I have nearly always started constructing the tale there, with the twist at the end not the start.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Thank you everyone for all the advice it was extremely helpful! I just posted the first 320 words of a short story. It was slow going and might be crap but I got started haha. I have thought about writing for years and never pulled the trigger, this forum is awesome.

Keep going!! The only way to fail at this, is to quit!
    Me: "You know the way a gun barrel tastes?
    Everyone: Uh... No.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitech View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the advice it was extremely helpful! I just posted the first 320 words of a short story. It was slow going and might be crap but I got started haha. I have thought about writing for years and never pulled the trigger, this forum is awesome.
    It is usually worth including a link.
    https://www.writingforums.com/thread...t=#post2209436
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

I am an extremely new writer who is wanting to start out with short stories. What I seem to struggle the most with is getting those first words down without some sort of plan. So I ask the veteran short story authors out there, do you use a template to plan out your story?

I did a fast google search and was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of templates and software available so I was hoping to see if anyone here had any success. Thanks in advance!
    Same principles - a journey, change, theme, lessons learned and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    It is usually worth including a link.
    https://www.writingforums.com/thread...t=#post2209436
    Thank you! I am still getting a feel for what is appropriate on the forum and begging to much for feedback haha. I always err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Keep going!! The only way to fail at this, is to quit!
    Truth!

Thank you! I am still getting a feel for what is appropriate on the forum and begging to much for feedback haha. I always err on the side of caution.
    A good sentiment, but a link is only an opportunity, not begging.
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12