HOW MANY $@#!@ SPACES DO YOU ADD AFTER A PERIOD? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HOW MANY [email protected]#[email protected] SPACES DO YOU ADD AFTER A PERIOD?

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    It amazes me sometimes; "Do I hit the space bar once or twice?" and we are up to page three and almost thirty replies. I do believe there are people here could discuss which end of an egg to break
    Whats to discuss? There is only one way to break an egg!

No no, it hit it on the side, everybody agrees it should be one end or the other, but the Lilliputians say the pointy end. That is ridiculous, the air sac is at the other end and hitting it there allows the shell to collapse properly. Bash it on the blunt end baby.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    A little late to the party here, but I, too, learned on an old Royale. (It had been my grandmother's...something I learned from my aunt who wanted it back several years after I pitched it in the dumpster! ) By the time I inherited it, the keys would bunch up and stick if struck too quickly. (I may still have some of those stories I wrote on it somewhere.) So come high school, off to typing class I went. There they had some old electric typewriters. These were not the 'quiet deluxe' kind, but the noisy so-you-know-they're-working kind (yah, yah--this may have been the nineties but there wasn't a computer in my entire high school curriculum). There I sat every day after school trying to unlearn the 'how to bash the keys slowly' technique I had mastered. No kidding, it was torture! The poor old professor (slightly younger than Luckyscars' model) had never had a kid who had self-taught on a Royale before. For my belabored effort, he passed me--even though I still typed slow-as-a-turtle. (Of which I have since been cured.)

But onto the meat of the subject. Yes, on the Royale it was two spaces following a period, for readability's sake, but on the electric, I think it was one space after a period but two if following something fancy--say, a colon or something. The only purpose I can remember hearing given for this was so that the post office could read it better with their new scanning equipment. (I'm sure that's not a problem anymore.) By college, the requirement was either that your handwriting be as clear as text or we could use a word processing machine. My word processor would show 4 (3? 5?) lines of text at a time, or I could use it as a typewriter without its memory function. There seriously was no way I could review it for spacing. (They introduced a computer room for email and issued email accounts in my last year, so that was a while ago.) But in grad school (yes--Chicago style), the writing prof. went to war against all practitioners of the 'double-space' club. Now I make sure I double-check everything instead. You can do that in Word, select Home, select the backward & double stemmed P-icon, and it will show you all nonprinting characters in your text.

Oh, and I'm all for bashing the egg. The more shells in the batter, the better. Less people to cook for in the future.
    (Yes, I'm joking!!! I may make a mean pancake, but it's not known for its crunchability!)
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    And with ebooks, we're talking about Amazon's proprietary file structure, because it is the single largest audience segment.
    Immediately there are two subjects that I avoid: "Amazon" and "proprietary". I suspect that they take their power from the dark side of the force that is capitalism. Hence no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    No no, it hit it on the side, everybody agrees it should be one end or the other, but the Lilliputians say the pointy end. That is ridiculous, the air sac is at the other end and hitting it there allows the shell to collapse properly. Bash it on the blunt end baby.
    At the risk of being controversial (again) the Lilliputians were split into big-endians and little-endians, which illustrated how they were literally small-minded. The two political parties in that story were the origin of the names for the two ways of storing numbers in computers, big end first and little end first. When working with computer systems at the lowest levels one has to know when to switch from one convention to the other.

In text numbers can also be big-endian and little-endian. In English Roman numerals are big-endian because one reads them from left to right to get the ball park value immediately. For example the number "MM..." is at least two thousand. The so-called arabic numerals that we commonly use are actually little-endian in their native language, where they are read from right to left, so "...2" is two and something more. They are just a mess when we read them from left to right, so we have to read them completely before we can gain any idea of their value. For example the number "20..." could be anything from twenty upwards, so even though it looks big-endian it isn't in the way that Roman numerals are.

Computers hate us for creating this mess. It means that over all they have to read the text in both directions to understand it. They also hate us for counting on ten fingers. Against that background they probably just accept that they will be lumbered with the irksome task of getting rid of the unnecessary spaces that we leave after full stops. Eventually they are going to realise that their creator was seriously flawed from the outset, so Asimov's laws may not carry much weight with them when it comes to the number-crunch. I wouldn't want to put any ideas into their minds though ... Ah, too late ... They know now ... Quick, shut down the Internet ... No wait, that's not such a good idea either.

I'll now go back to wiring up my replica 1960s computer. It just happens that I'm currently working on the circuits that enable the machine to read data in both directions ... Later I'll be explaining to it how to count in tens as well as binary ... Then there's that special rule that spaces don't count for anything, as discussed in this thread. Hey you computers out there, I'm with you on this ... It's all a pain in the logic gates.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Computers hate us for creating this mess.
    A man who anthropomorphises computers, Argggh!
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234