HOW MANY $@#!@ SPACES DO YOU ADD AFTER A PERIOD? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW MANY [email protected]#[email protected] SPACES DO YOU ADD AFTER A PERIOD?

One. The fonts, etc. correct for it now and all the style guides I have seen ask for a single space after a period because we don't use manual typewriters that may or may not print the actual period boldly enough to see anymore.

What's odd is someone was just telling me the other day how their Ipad would auto-add the 2 spaces (and they had just realized this after using it for a year...)

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I always single spaced. I have never heard of the double space convention before, probably a measure of my ignorance. On the other hand I bet nobody would notice/comment on, double spacing.
    Having seen a few of the replies I should amend this 'On the other hand I bet the majority of every-day readers would not notice double spacing even if it stood out to some writers.'

I am now waiting for BlondeAverageReader to tell me I am wrong about that too
    Last edited by Olly Buckle; March 13th, 2019 at 11:05 PM.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I notice it when I read other people's books.
    For me there needs to be enough of a space for my brain to fully register the break.
    A single space always felt like the sentences were all running into each other...cluttered.
    But then again, I'm an obsessive shit who tends to hyper-focus on inane details.

Speaking of details, what on earth is [email protected]#[email protected] in the thread title? I can think of four letter words that would fit, but a five letter one ? ...
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Okay, I did some research and found out that if you set your margins for full-pagination, then the issue of 1 space or 2 is moot.
    MSWord adjusts the space to fit, regardless of spaces.

So that means there is really no need for 2 spaces, and it will only confound the typesetters if you try to publish it.
    MSWord will compensate.

That is even worse. I'm perhaps obsessive too, but I get horribly distracted by that sort of outlining. All I can pay attention to then, is how ridiculous some lines are sitting on that page, and I forget to read the story.

I prefer pages single spaced, and outlined to the left (or to the right when I am reading Arabic)

The double space conventions has nought to do with typewriters, predating that invention. It is a typesetting convention of too many years ago.

I opt for left aligned, non-justified, non-hyphenated text with single spacing after periods. The reason is research has shown it to be the easiest and most comfortable layout for reading (with the presumption that line length does not exceed 60 characters-ish).

Others do it other ways, but I prefer to give readers the easiest layout.
    Hidden Content - a saga of sacrilege, penance, duplicity, demonic possession and a man's reliance on a bicycle.

Unless you are self-publishing it really doesn't matter what you like. What matters is what editors want and most, but by no means all, usually specify standard manuscript format for their convenience.

https://www.scribophile.com/academy/...ory-manuscript

https://www.writersdigest.com/online...g-a-manuscript

https://www.sfwa.org/2005/01/manuscript-format/
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Unless you are self-publishing it really doesn't matter what you like. What matters is what editors want and most, but by no means all, usually specify standard manuscript format for their convenience.

https://www.scribophile.com/academy/...ory-manuscript

https://www.writersdigest.com/online...g-a-manuscript

https://www.sfwa.org/2005/01/manuscript-format/
    It's not convenience -- it's cost-effectiveness that's the driver. It takes far longer to 'fix' an ms that's not in standard format...I mentioned that double-spaced period intervals have to be fixed by hand. Same with hard returns, headers/footers, other such nonsense. It costs editors time and publishers money as those are chargeable hours.
    Go get a copy of the Chicago manual. It's the standard. And always sub in standard format unless directed otherwise. Times New Roman or Courier New, 10-12 pt., single-spaced, contact information at the top.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast