There seems to be a trend towards flashier covers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There seems to be a trend towards flashier covers

There seems to be a trend towards flashier covers

So I have been noticing that many publishers are doing new things with book covers.
    I have seen a few where the colors were so outrageous that you couldn't not look at the thumbnail.
    Others had bizarre photos or childish artwork intentionally designed to make the book stick out like a sore thumb.
    And these are not Indies, these are the big publishers.
    I have seen a lot of covers that a decade ago would have been no-no's in the publishing world.
    Now, it's just another way to stick out of the crowd (the crowd that publishes 75,000 books a month.)

Anyhow, that's my excuse for using this ugly-ass mustard colored lettering.
    I hated it at first, but even thumbnailed it sticks out. It's like the color is so obscene that the book inside must be good...or they'd have gone with a better color..right?

Blog Entries
    I had to "view image" to see it for some reason.

Anyway, yeah, flashy covers, ugh, not into that at all. I like my covers stripped right back. If what I slide from the shelf doesn't look like Beowulf, or something scrib'd by the venerable quill of Bede, I'm not interested.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Oh wow, it hurts my eyes, I can barely distinguish what it is about, and I am not even going to try and read the back cover

Ralph, I think changing the color of the lettering would make a HUGE improvement. Plus, the picture of the woman makes her look like she thinks it too bright too! LOL. Like bd, I am more attracted to the subtle, more mysterious or darker covers. I did read the back cover - sounds very interesting, if I got that far. Overall, I think the cover you have is a little off-putting. Thanks for asking.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    RR the cover, for me, makes me think of some Western USA info book. Which is completely fine. The grammar errors on the back page blurb however (and on one case, the front) are a bigger issue for me. What is your involvement with it? Cover designer? Just using the colour as an example? I assume this isn't your book, unless your real name is Jane?

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Ralph, what struck me was not the lettering but the woman, she looked too modern, cliché and clean
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Ralph, what struck me was not the lettering but the woman, she looked too modern, cliché and clean
    X 2. Feels off because of it.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

That woman does not look like she is having a harsh time....
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

And her head is not set decently on top of her body. Photoshop didn't work too good there.

I like minimal covers with nothing to read but the title and author's name.
    (i'm seeing double n0wl)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast