Scores - Literary Maneuvers Feb 2019 - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scores - Literary Maneuvers Feb 2019

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Fatclub,

I can't seem to find it now but I definitely recall reading in the guide that word count was determined by MS Word. Wondering if this has been changed? My apologies if so
    This is from bd's opening of the monthly challenges -
    • The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your story will not be counted. Microsoft Word is the standard for checking this. If you are unsure of the word count and don't have Word, please send your story to me and I'll check it for you.

I have also read somewhere on the forum that standard hyphenated words will be accepted as one but over-use of them, or obvious miss-use, will not be allowed. No idea where I read this.

Arachne

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    • The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your story will not be counted. Microsoft Word is the standard for checking this. If you are unsure of the word count and don't have Word, please send your story to me and I'll check it for you.

I have also read somewhere on the forum that standard hyphenated words will be accepted as one but over-use of them, or obvious miss-use, will not be allowed. No idea where I read this.

Arachne
    As I said, I'll know for next time. I hope we're not using Word's spellchecker too!
    Seriously, I'm good with numbers so it's easy to count manually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatclub View Post
    As I said, I'll know for next time. I hope we're not using Word's spellchecker too!
    Seriously, I'm good with numbers so it's easy to count manually.
    Nope - SPaG is the job of the judges.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post

Arachne

Thanks, I've been missing a lot of things in text lately as my brain learns how to deal with my new eyes. Had my second cataract surgery in January and my visual processing is still dealing with the challenges of re-learning how to process. Neuroplasticity is an amazing but sometimes frustratingly slow thing.

Also, I'm officially a cyborg.
    My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Congrats, Arachne! I loved the irony of eating chocolate when death is lurking just around the corner. The dialogue really worked well and the footprints leading into no-man's-land gave me the chills. Great work, everyone!

Thank you once again to the judges, to bdcharles for managing this entire operation, and congratulations to the contestants! I have a personal rule of moving on without too much fuss either from good or poor responses to my writing; but, given it seems the more intestinal negative reactions to 'Something's Ishy,' I feel compelled, hot quick, to clear the air and state that I, Ibb, am not my characters. 'Something's Ishy,' came from two ideas: one, stealing Dennis Reynolds from It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia and turning his dial up to 10 as a protagonist; and two, taking Moby-Dick's famous hero and playing up the idea posed by many critics that, owing to his ability to be in numerous places throughout the novel that shouldn't even be accessible to him, he himself might be more than human.

The repeated line of 'I'm the hottest shit I know,' was planned to lead to the protgaonist's comeuppance, wherein he meets Ishamel's 'demon,' is beguiled with promises of being 'the hottest shit of all time,' and promptly granted his wish by being sent to hell. Problem with that: I was completely off on the deadlines for this LM and the Grand Fiction, and rather than following my original schedule, I discovered I had incomplete stories with about an hour left before each deadline to headbutt my keyboard and throw something out. I know I have it in me to write the story I wanted; but, caught by surprise, I panicked, and kept failing to compact the desired elements into 650 words while the clock ticked beside me. The mature decision would have been to accept my mistake and simply not enter. Alas, we're all writers. Being stubborn's in the blood.

I've learned my lesson. If I find myself in a similar situation in the future, I'll just scrape the idea. I genuinely apologize for the final nonsensical scenes. They were crass for no other reason than I was frustrated and still felt the need to compete. And once again, I, Ibb, am not my heroes. I give my girlfriend of seven years a big smooch every morning before work. I say hello and good day. I even occasionally help old ladies cross the street and, overwhelmed by my conscience, pickpocket only 5 dollars instead of my usual 10. Thank you again for the feedback and I look forward to the next LM.

Blog Entries
    I can only speak for myself but I never thought this was about you (once your identity was revealed) or reflective of your day to day life. Now that you mention It's Always Sunny I can totally see the similarities but I think with a piece like this there would have to be more context. Perhaps a longer piece with more time to establish the character's sense of self and motivations and utter lack of basic social skills?

I'll admit I had a fairly visceral reaction to the piece but I appreciate your comments about your motivations and the characterisations.
    My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12