Sturggling to Write - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sturggling to Write

Oh gods, by all means force it. Put a figurative finger down your figurative throat or squeeze your figurative cheeks together and figuratively do a squat thrust. Take some figurative laxative. That's exactly what you need to do. Poop that damn story out!
    Remember that your words are not semiprecious stones. There will be other words, and you'll love those just as much. Copy is just copy. Write until your figurative fingertips bleed, just to get all of the bad writing out of your system as fast as possible.
    Ah GuarONtee that'll help. Don't agonize over an individual story til it's done and you're happily polishing it and dreaming of possible markets. Let the disillusionment set in later, when you're subbing to said markets.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I had a friend who was an accountant, he used to record the day's work on four of them, one would stay in the office, one would go in his pocket and the other two would be dropped in the letter box on the corner, one to his address, one to his friend's. That seems like taking things a bit far, but that is accountants for you
    Olly, your friend is a wise man!

Getting back on topic, Rebel, normally I would say to work your way through a piece (maybe not as colorfully put as our friend Moderan here), but working our way through a piece often is the only way to make sure it gets done.

However, and I'm reading between the lines here, with "several moves" I'm assuming you're several years removed from that story, right? I'm just speculating here, but your anxiety might be from mentally having shelved it and now you want to return to something you shelved as 'finished'?

Here is a potentially ridiculous idea--and if it is, just disregard it. Instead of taking out the old story and trying to retype the hard copy (and reliving it as you retype it), how about just making it into a new story? If you really like the story (and I'm assuming you do), why not revive it with new purpose? Go through the old manuscript and make note of elements you really liked. What resonates with you? You are in the unique position now to look at it for what it is, not for what you would like it to be or thought it was. It's very likely there's a lot there that you've forgotten about. Those might be the parts you'll now want to skip. Maybe you'll want to change the POV? Or the plot? What happens if... (you get the idea)

Maybe there's something about the story that your inner voice is picking up on that really doesn't work. Have you tried facing that inner voice and finding out if there is any truth to it? If so, then fix it. If not, then shelve the inner voice.

There is no harm done if you take what you learned in that manuscript and apply it to a new story. Finding a story you're passionate about telling will make the next several months (years?) much easier. Plus, you have a lot more miles under your belt today than you did as a teen. Why not give yourself a little credit and put those miles to work for you?

Be bold.

Go

Write.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

I'm young and just starting out, but I hope this helps.

I first write out my stories on paper and later copy/type them into Word. When I'm typing them into Word, I copy them as written (except for obvious typos) with these exceptions:

1) Questionable stuff gets changed to red to stand out again later in editing.

2) Anything that I actually decide to go ahead and change (so far it's just adding or altering a word or making a [note]) I type in purple.

The idea, for me, is to simply type them into Word as accurate as possible from the written pages. I even insert page breaks where the written word from a page ends and the word count for that page ("End written page XX - XXX"). It's my personal compromise of "pen and paper" being the best form for my writing (it simply flows better for me) and "keyboard" being the best form for editing, etc. later.

Hope this helps some how!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelGoddess View Post

What do you do when your inner voice says "it's not good enough and never will be"? I've tried overcoming it and forcing myself to work (something that worked for sending this agent the first ten pages of my novel), but I'm still struggling. As a side note, I have passive anxiety. How do yuo overcome this? What do you do to shut that stupid voice up and just get down to writing? Thank you!!!
    In order to work toward doing something well, you first have to be comfortable with doing it badly. Forgot where I heard this.

I find that the deeper I get into a story, the more engaged I become. So just write. Rip through it. You may come up with a passage you really like, or a stretch of killer dialogue the you know is good. Use that to empower yourself, but don't stop. More good stuff will come.

Don't write for the people who are critiquing or giving you guidance; write it for yourself. Pretend, maybe, that it's just an exercise and that you have no plans to show it to anyone. That might help with some of the anxiety.

As the op was back in March I do wonder how you are getting on? Did you re-type, or have you got involved in some other project maybe ?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

This is just my OCD taking over. The R and the U in the word struggling in the title are transposed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123