• Games Fat People Play

0 0%
  • Is there a way I can delete my posts?

1 5.00%
  • Look at the stuff I made!

3 15.00%
  • The Stairway in the Stars

2 10.00%
  • We were about to give up and call it a night when somebody threw the girl off the bridge.*

3 15.00%
  • Warden I Want My Own Cell!

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literary Maneuvers March 2019 voting

Blog Entries

Literary Maneuvers March 2019 voting

be counted!

* John D. MacDonald, Darker Than Amber

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

pick 1?
    pls.n.thx,

*k. 1*
    Last edited by -xXx-; February 22nd, 2019 at 08:01 PM.

Am I allowed to say what I voted for? And encourage others to vote the same way?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatclub View Post
    Am I allowed to say what I voted for? And encourage others to vote the same way?
    I'd rather not - though I'm happy for you to say here why you voted for what you did. You can always resubmit the one you like next month. Alternatively you could write a piece on the prompt you like and submit it to https://www.flashesofbrilliance.org/submissions/ or somesuch. I've done that loads of times.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Ok, I've voted for a prompt that I think will invite real stories rather than a line to be plonked in to any story. Also, something about it makes me think there's a good chance of humour - something that's often lacking in the submissions.

Blog Entries
    I find humour to be the absolute hardest thing to write, and I know I'm not alone in that. Unless you're a naturally funny writer I find most attempts at funny in prose end up engendering eye-rolls more than laughs. If you can write funny, you have my respect. I can be very funny in banter and conversation but in a story....
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Quote Originally Posted by Fatclub View Post
    Ok, I've voted for a prompt that I think will invite real stories rather than a line to be plonked in to any story. Also, something about it makes me think there's a good chance of humour - something that's often lacking in the submissions.
    I still remember your Moon Landing submission. Had me wondering what the story had to do with the prompt right til he fell on his arse. Funny stuff.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    That's the thing about being funny. You've either got it--or you don't.

I love telling jokes, but people don't laugh because of the punch line. They laugh b/c I usually botch up the punch line.

So no, even if the prompt ends up sounding suspiciously funny to you all, I still will not be submitting a funny story. No matter how hard I try, it simply won't be funny.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Let me get this straight. We have a history of x-many submissions per contest, and how many people have voted?

History:

Feb 2019
    Jan 2019
    Dec 2018
    Nov 2018
    Oct 2018
    Sept 2018

8+8+4+6+7+4 = 37 / 6 = avg. of roughly 6 entries per event

So, based on this six month look-back period, we can reasonably expect about 6 entries. Yet we have 19 votes. Yeah if we get 19 entries, but somehow I don't think that's likely. Kind-a reminds me of supply & demand; the readers (I'm assuming?) will overwhelmingly sway the topic that those who will be submitting will write on. Which is often how published commercial writing goes. But in the happy land of the internet, I kind-of came into this thinking you could only vote if you were at least planning on submitting something for the contest.

I really have no point in this. It was purely a case of 'I must muse' & to point out the discrepancy between voters and contest submitters.

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    Let me get this straight. We have a history of x-many submissions per contest, and how many people have voted?

History:

Feb 2019
    Jan 2019
    Dec 2018
    Nov 2018
    Oct 2018
    Sept 2018

8+8+4+6+7+4 = 37 / 6 = avg. of roughly 6 entries per event

So, based on this six month look-back period, we can reasonably expect about 6 entries. Yet we have 19 votes. Yeah if we get 19 entries, but somehow I don't think that's likely. Kind-a reminds me of supply & demand; the readers (I'm assuming?) will overwhelmingly sway the topic that those who will be submitting will write on. Which is often how published commercial writing goes. But in the happy land of the internet, I kind-of came into this thinking you could only vote if you were at least planning on submitting something for the contest.

I really have no point in this. It was purely a case of 'I must muse' & to point out the discrepancy between voters and contest submitters.

Maybe another way of viewing it is that most people vote for a prompt that doesn't win, so struggle to find a story to fit an unfavoured prompt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast