New words and expressions you've noticed recently that are trending? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New words and expressions you've noticed recently that are trending?

Ah... Sorry, Emma. I misunderstood. I've seen nonverbals in forums for a long time. It's not something I would use in a novel or story, but informally, it seems to work. legit is just one of those things that gets under my skin. It's short for legitimately or legitimate, so as a slang, it bugs me. Another one, is, or whatever. I've heard this interjected into sentences as a mindless sort of.... speech habit, and it's pretty irritating. I am, by no means, a language purist, but common discourse seems to constantly get dumber by the year.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Ah... Sorry, Emma. I misunderstood. I've seen nonverbals in forums for a long time. It's not something I would use in a novel or story, but informally, it seems to work. legit is just one of those things that gets under my skin. It's short for legitimately or legitimate, so as a slang, it bugs me. Another one, is, or whatever. I've heard this interjected into sentences as a mindless sort of.... speech habit, and it's pretty irritating. I am, by no means, a language purist, but common discourse seems to constantly get dumber by the year.
    Right, someone posted here: "Actually, that is a brilliant idea! *Thunks forehead* I should have thought of that sooner!" (ScarletM.Sinclaire)

To me, "whatever" is a powerful word standing by itself. It's dismissive. It kind of means "I don't want to think about it." True?
    I can't think of a substitute. I mean, etc. is close, but not the same. You should be thrilled that it's in our language. Well, that's my, like, you know, opinion.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

I agree, Emma, but when it's just a meaningless thing thrown into the midst of a sentence, it gets weird.
    "So, we were just hanging out, or whatever, and then he took off, or whatever, so I started talking with Chris, or whatever..."

Seriously, this is how I hear people speaking. Drives me up a wall. LOL
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12