Magic In All It's Glory!

Thread: Magic In All It's Glory!

Blog Entries

Magic In All It's Glory!

So I'm looking through several articles on how to create a magic system for my book and have the idea of creating a dual system using two types of magical sources. Divine Magic is hard magic with a set of strict rules and guidelines. Arcane Magic on the other hand is soft and vague and not really reliable or safe to use. My one question is has this been done and if so how effective was it? Also if anyone has any ideas, questions, or comments don't hesitate to share.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

I like it, and I don't think I have seen it used before. There are stories like 'Wizard of Earthsea', in which a boy uses his natural magical ability and gets in trouble doing so, before being sent to 'Magic school' to learn how to control and use it properly, but I don't think I have really seen a separation such as you describe with separate practitioners.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I'm only going with a dual system because of the story I'm writing. The main characters are gods reincarnated in human form and so they imidiatly have access to Divine Magic. Arcane Magic is mostly used by mortals however I'm going to have a field day with Hecate goddess of magic who can wield both kinds of magic.

Be careful with Hecate, or edit thoroughly, it is when I am having a field day I find I drift most, and be sure to switch on 'spellcheck', "imidiatly".
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley has an excellent 'arcane' (by the OP definition) magic system - in fact the best one i've seen in literature, screen or RPGs. The reason i like it so much is that the magic is deeply personal - the spells require an exploration by and of the character performing the spell, and often have unintended consequences with implications for the story plot.

Blog Entries
    I prefer bottom-up, soft magic systems because I like to write from the character perspective more than a technical, system-oriented one. Characters bumble through worlds, picking up the odd magical skill or artifact here and there but never fully understanding what they are dealing with until later, and then only partially. That said, I do have a system in mind for my current system but again I don't really intend for it to ever be fully understood - only how characters can interact with it. Keeps the mystery and esotericness alive, for me.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    That's going to be a balancing act and a half for me. First I have to keep both systems separate and distinct from one another. Then I have to follow two set's of rules, one for each of them. If I can pull this off I hope the reward will be worth the time effort and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    That's going to be a balancing act and a half for me. First I have to keep both systems separate and distinct from one another. Then I have to follow two set's of rules, one for each of them. If I can pull this off I hope the reward will be worth the time effort and energy.
    My thoughts too. I can't imagine how it won't be interesting and a challenge.
    Looking for people to beta a chapter or more of my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools for Better Writing. Go Hidden Content
    As always, useful information you can't find anywhere else.

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Yeah I can't wait to get done with the first book. That'll probably be the first day I ever get wasted on any kind of alcohol just from the sheer amount of celebrating I'll be doing to see 12 years of hard work finally pay off.