Science Fiction is Not About Science - Page 12

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: Science Fiction is Not About Science

Surely I've not been away that long that I need to catch up on all this stuff. I'll make one quick observation though.

Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    And scary Sci Fi children, Midwich Cuckoos anyone?
    Is the sci-fi aspect really necessary to make children scary though? Sort of gilding the lily, isn't it?

Okay, I'll go away again.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

That's a good point, JustRob. A REAL good point.

*plants corn*
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

My remark about children is more pertinent to the discussion than it might appear. It's a very long time since I read The Midwich Cuckoos but I seem to recollect that there was a teacher in it who realised that there was something sinister about his pupils. Science fiction shields readers from the reality because they assume that the events in the story couldn't happen in reality just because the fictional science makes the situation unreal. However, the fictional science may not actually be essential to the events but just magnify their effect, so the readers' complacency may be unfounded. Nowadays there are more examples than ever in real life of teachers feeling threatened by their pupils and even being assaulted by them.

Fiction that is true to life can be worrying but by writing a story as science fiction or fantasy we reassure our readers. The implicit contract with the readers is that they suspend their disbelief for the duration of the story and we enable them to resume it when the story ends. That's automatic with science fiction even if it's actually an illusion. The real fiction is the idea that because invading aliens, vampires, zombies, killer robots, etc. don't really exist our lives are safe. Take the science fiction and fantasy out of a story though and its message may change. No, science fiction may just be the sugar coating on a bitter pill.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I kinda think of science fiction as a broad spectrum, a bit like jazz, that can be used as a spice in almost any genre, I was going to write every but I bet some clever clogs will point out the odd one that disproves my assertion.

I was going to write every but I bet some clever clogs will point out the odd one that disproves my assertion.
    Like travel guides to the Lake District, and pre-school picture books ?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    But it is now in vogue for travel guides to be spiced up by mentioning books, films and TV series set in the area covered and there must be some of those set in the Lake District, surely. If not then there's a whole niche for someone here to exploit, science fiction set in the Lake District. Personally I half hoped that the area where I live might be mentioned in a travel guide as the setting for that popular TV series The Kibbles of Greentrees (not produced yet) based on my factual historical account of the same name (not written yet), but my neighbours might not be so keen unless they want to open a tea-room. Where's the science fiction in that, you may ask. Well, it happens that the setting for my allegedly science fiction novel Never Upon A Time is also an installation on the site of an old mansion, once the home of the Kibbles, but I'm much too modest (Hey, we do write fiction here, don't we?) to suggest that my novel would merit mention in a travel guide. Others may be luckier though.The real Watership Down is probably mentioned in a guide somewhere and talking rabbits and clairvoyance are science fiction, aren't they? If you think otherwise about clairvoyance then ... I once wrote a clairvoyant novel entitled Never Upon A Time ... Okay then, I'll stop rabbiting on and go back to looking at my pre-school picture book. Hey, there aren't any words in it. Olly, you cheated!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    The Lake District Guide to Alien Abduction, and Rosie Goes to Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE
    Last edited by bazz cargo; Yesterday at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    The Lake District Guide to Alien Abduction, and Rosie Goes to Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE
    I always did like that song, much to my angel's annoyance.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112