Writing About Dreams - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing About Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post

Thanks. I do worry about my writing boring people! What do you think could be skipped? Why wouldn't it be possible from within a dream? Appreciate the help!
    You are asking hard questions and I am stuck with only my impressions. Which I think is all you are asking for.

I am not sure where you are going with the start of this dream, what you are making of it. To me, the first three paragraphs are mostly meaningless to me -- I learn that she's in a dream. Is there something more I'm supposed to get? I think you need that to establish a dream-like state, but not as much as you have. (And I'm guessing some readers would like that description and this might be a genre thing.)

There is a description of things that are not in the dream. I like how that works so well for mood. But I can't imagine a person, describing a dream, talk about what is not in the dream. There might be ways of hiding that. A furnitureless room. Instead of pizza boxes...

It seems to me that when people describe a dream, they say something like "And then John was in my dream" or "John appeared in my dream" or just "John was standing there." They don't say, "And then I saw John." Or if they did, it would sound like a story. So, at least occasionally, your narrator seems like a narrator, taking the perspective of a narrator. Since I cannot imagine ever seeing a floor and knowing it was immaculate, that word also sounded like a narrator.

The New York skyline was visible outside the pane.
    My dreams don't have much detail, and this sounds to me like an author trying to paint a scene. She might notice the New York skyline; she would not notice that it was visible. She would see it in the distance, not outside the pane.

So the narration is sometimes inside her head describing what she experiences, but sometimes not. That's what I meant by being in the middle. And it might just be subtle little word choices, like "then" being a perfect describer for telling a story and not fitting how people experience dreams or I guess real life.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    If you hadn't highlighted the above as a dream sequence i think i would have thought it was a near death experience (light at the end of a dark tunnel) - which isn't too off target as they share many similarities.
    It's a drug-fueled dream so that's probably close.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

I dream extremely vividly. I feel touch, even pain, sometimes smells and tastes. Honestly, to me, the most unrealistic aspect of the sequence is how logical it is. Dreams are based on emotions and archetypes; even if the events are in a logical sequence, there tend to be illogical aspects. That might just be me though.

I have had a few very logical dreams, but those usually feel like real life. The best way to indicate unreality, to me, is illogic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12