OP MC? - Page 5

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: OP MC?

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Most Literature doesn't keep a character running as long as comics have, therefore less need for any changes.

Then there's the matter of multiple writers coming and going, each having their own take on things... and the feedback from the readers.

That can and does make a mess of things.

Here, have a look at this, if you wanna see how much of a mess: The Weird History of Supergirl & Power Girl

Most literature simply doesn't have the problem of character longevity that comics have.

And movies get reboots, so...

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

You can and nobody's gonna stop you, but you gotta make sure there is something that reader or viewer can enjoy following through his OP journey mowing people down.

So what do you have for your OP swordsman? Is it his swordfighting style? Is it his wits and tricks that solve any obstacle?

Your best example is Steven Seagal here. He's always a badass in movies. Anyone he touches basically flips around or broke their joints and that's where the entertainment come from.

Sir-KP is right, you're gonna want to break his skills down so the reader understands what's going on and why.

Sword fights are hard to describe in the first place, and most real ones wouldn't look anything like the movies usually present them.

So what is it about your guy? Speed? The ability to be in the right place at the right time, so when that opening shows up, he can use it, while leaving none for anyone else to stab him?

Strength won't be of much use to a swordsman, but stamina will...

And a good dose of luck won't hurt matters either.

Oh, and the ability to stay on the outside of a group during a fight, so they get in their own way is a 'must' as well.
    ( He gets in the middle of 5 or 6 armed men, I don't care how good he is, he's a pin cushion. )

Yes, I had many strange hobbies when I was younger... including swords and learning how to use them.

G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I like medieval castles but I don't think they are good houses for the 21st century.
    Why ever not? If I had the money to build myself a mansion, naturally I'd make it a castle. . .

Ok, but seriously, I don't think the term "regressive" (or "progressive," for that matter) is super useful in talking about what makes good fiction. There's an assumption underlying the term that old ideas and techniques are inherently bad, whereas new ones are inherently good. People use pretty much the same characters, plots, and themes over and over anyways, and, as you mentioned, the new takes on the old heroes aren't necessarily good.

A super-powerful character is fine as long as the conflict and tension remain. Victory should not come easily to him/her. In fact, that's what makes those "hero with a sword" characters so cool--the massive obstacles they encounter to achieve their goal. I'll always have a place in my heart for really good good guys with big weapons and really bad bad guys with even bigger weapons. I don't think those kinds of stories will ever be truly outdated--even if they may be out of fashion for a couple decades or so.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    Why ever not? If I had the money to build myself a mansion, naturally I'd make it a castle. . .
    There's a guy here in TN that lives in this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	renissancefestival00000000.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	23327

He runs the TN Ren festival.

...I guess it's how he pays his mortgage.

I was there twenty-odd years ago, when he first started building it, and got a chance to talk to him.

At the time, he only had a phone down in the kitchen, and his bedroom was at the top of that left tower.

Said he always hated hearing the phone ring, 'cause he was usually upstairs when it did, and far too often it was a wrong number.

...I wonder if he ever installed elevators.

G.D.

Arrow,

I think mostly we agree. I would like to expand a little on some of your points.

There's good stuff that's now being used that came from (inspired by) castles. Learning from the old can be beneficial. Too many prefer to discard the old.

The thickness of castle and stone house walls is being used in green house building, in case anyone was wondering.

Ok, but seriously, I don't think the term "regressive" (or "progressive," for that matter) is super useful in talking about what makes good fiction. There's an assumption underlying the term that old ideas and techniques are inherently bad, whereas new ones are inherently good. People use pretty much the same characters, plots, and themes over and over anyways, and, as you mentioned, the new takes on the old heroes aren't necessarily good.
    It's the use of inherently negative terms that I object to more than the subjective like or dislike expressed. Doing something that used to be popular can be labeled regressive or retro. Characters that excel at one or a few things can be labeled two dimensional or inspirational. I agree that such characters may not be everyone's choice, but I object to a blanket "do not use" attachment.

A super-powerful character is fine as long as the conflict and tension remain. Victory should not come easily to him/her. In fact, that's what makes those "hero with a sword" characters so cool--the massive obstacles they encounter to achieve their goal. I'll always have a place in my heart for really good good guys with big weapons and really bad bad guys with even bigger weapons. I don't think those kinds of stories will ever be truly outdated--even if they may be out of fashion for a couple decades or so.
    As I said before, there's always challenges.

Blog Entries
    The best advice I can give, (I didn't go through and read all five pages of this thread.) Is to make you villain stronger than your hero. No matter how good, awesome, capable, powerful your hero is there always has to be someone who's better. Otherwise there no conflict and thus no story.
    Not anymore will i hide in the shadow's weeping away at what might have been. I will take control of my destiny and mold my life into what i want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    The best advice I can give, (I didn't go through and read all five pages of this thread.) Is to make you villain stronger than your hero. No matter how good, awesome, capable, powerful your hero is there always has to be someone who's better. Otherwise there no conflict and thus no story.
    Strength works, but sometimes a villain that is much more cunning sets an interesting tone. A baddie that can out think and out plan the protagonist can add a lot more to the story than a baddie who only uses sheer strength. This would force the hero to think outside the box and come at the problem from a direction in which he wouldn't normally. Taking the hero way out of his comfort zone makes for some interesting character development as well.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345