Attracting a fanbase - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attracting a fanbase

I think the established authors or who have a huge fan base can afford to do aggressive marketing. Pre-sale of books are a must and works for the established authors.

My plan is to create a website to attract a fanbase. I will write blogs on the topics i am researching for the story (mostly science and mythology), maybe also some videos. Possibly some blogs on the writing process itself. I'll use things like facebook mostly to point people towards this website. I'll put up all this infrastructure before i start writing a book. That's the plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhav View Post
    I think the established authors or who have a huge fan base can afford to do aggressive marketing. Pre-sale of books are a must and works for the established authors.

Actually, even new authors should be marketing aggressively.
    Rule #2 of writing: Books don't sell themselves.

And pre-sale is a thing for new and old writers alike. You should never, ever, publish a book without at least 60 days of marketing (while the book is on pre-sale).

Here's how it works: You put your book on pre-sale, then manage to sell...let's say 9 copies of your book before it is even released.
    9 doesn't sound like a lot, but the way the Amazon algorithm works, your 9 books put you ahead of anyone with less sales/activity.
    Those 9 measly-sales put you ahead of about 60,000 of the 75,000 books published that month.
    Also, the Amazon algorithm gives you more credit the closer your sales activity is to release date.
    In other words, an author who sells 9 books BEFORE release day will get floated higher than an author who sells 9 books on day 2*.

*To the Amazon system, pre-sales are counted as a sale at 00:01 hours on release day. Even though you sold it a month ago, Amazon doesn't charge the customer until release day.
    So it you sell 9 books on pre-sale, it's the same as selling 9 books on day 1.
    Last edited by Ralph Rotten; March 13th, 2019 at 04:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    buy a copy of this months edition of Writer's Digest. There is an article ( or 2) that will be helpful to you. I thoroughly enjoyed this edition and learned a lot from it. As I told my friend Aimee, of all the advice and suggestions I've received over the years, Writer's Digest has had the best. This is not an promotion for the magazine, it's a testament to it.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12