From blinking cursor to published novel... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From blinking cursor to published novel...

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    New writers: Here is a tip that you should consider writing scripture. I bring this up because not only do I see this issue ruin a lotta promising work, but I myself have to be constantly mindful of it.

Never rush to tell the story.
    So true, so true! Some of the best advice I ever received, albeit phrased positively: "Let the story tell itself."
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

So for those writers who are new, or suffering from writer's block, today's post is a valuable lesson: Sometimes you are just not writing the right story.

I mentioned in another thread that I felt that the 3 books I was working on were just not the books.
    They were last year's story, last year's way of telling a tale. None of them had a great hook, and without a hook people will never get past the blurb on Amazon.
    The jacket text (book description) is a choke-point in the sales process.

So I set aside 3 books, roughly a hundred pages of writing, to work on the new story.
    This one has a built-in hook, and is unlike anything on the current market.
    It's sci-fi and a discussion of human sociology at the same time.
    It deals with things that could easily be a reality in the next century.

So the lesson is this: Know when to cut & run. Just because you wrote a few pages does not mean you are married to that story.

PS: Kudos to Moderan for being right. A while back I had posted a list of book projects I wanted to write and asked for feedback on which to write first.
    All of you suggested choices, then because I'm an asshole, I didn't listen to any of you.
    But now I see that Moderan was right--this story was the best of the ideas.
    Last edited by Ralph Rotten; March 24th, 2019 at 08:39 PM.

I am always right. Just ask me
    Glad I could help in some small way.
    Last edited by moderan; March 25th, 2019 at 12:41 AM.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I am always right. Just ask me
    Glad I could help is some small way.

And you are modest too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123