Is there an opposite term for "whistleblower"? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Okay thanks but the person who makes that promise has every intention of keeping them so therefore, the person choosing to keep quiet would not be a sucker. Also terms like jailbird and soon to be prison bitch are inaccurate, since people can go to prison for other things other than choosing to keep a crime swept under the rug. So I would need a more accurate term. Enabler is close but wonder if there is anything closer since enabler by dictionary definition typically referres to someone who contributes to self destructive behavior it says, which is different than choosing to keep a crime swept under the rug.

I don't think the term co-conspirator is accurate either. For example, let's say a prosecutor didn't want to prosecute a cop for a crime cause a lot of times prosecutors don't want to prosecute cops. So the prosecutor chooses to keep it swept under the rug. But that doesn't make the prosecutor a co-conspirator, that just makes him not want to get involved in ratting the criminal out. It wouldn't make him a lackey or patsy either... So what I'm asking is, what do you call a person who chooses not to be a rat...

Hack or lackey might work. Hack is associated more with a newspaper reporter, but lackey could be helpful as iut's a bit more general.
    Take care with your word selection. Bear in mind whose voice you are using when deciding which word to use, because you want it to sound authentic for that person.

EDIT: I see Luckyscars has already gone for lackey. Okay, he beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Hack or lackey might work. Hack is associated more with a newspaper reporter, but lackey could be helpful as iut's a bit more general.
    Take care with your word selection. Bear in mind whose voice you are using when deciding which word to use, because you want it to sound authentic for that person.

EDIT: I see Luckyscars has already gone for lackey. Okay, he beat me to it
    Okay thanks but Lackey I read means servant though, and a person can be a servant without serving a crime though, right?

There is a lot of stuff in the general area, but none of them specifically means the opposite of 'whistleblower'; I am not at all sure that there is such a term. If that is the case then perhaps you could give a description of the person, such as 'conniving and consorting to protect criminals' (you can probably put it better than that) but only use it once. After that use a phrase that refers to it like 'conniving git'. Might be a way round it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Okay thanks. Basically I wanted one character to actually call the other character a term cause he wants to call out the character on what he is doing, to his face. So he would say something to the character like "you're a ___". Just haven't found a word for it. But if there is no actual opposite term of whistleblower than I can maybe use a word like lackey or dog, or something like that.

He doesn't have to call him out with a single word, or he can and then explain it,

"You little shit"
    "What me? What's the matter?"
    "All the shit you've been keeping quiet about, who are you protecting."

Think how it might occur naturally, what would the one calling him out be accusing him of? Of course it might not be protecting someone, it could be taking a bung, or trying to cozy up to someone, you know the plot, it shouldn't be too hard to make him say something convincing. Seems like trying to condense it to one word is a; making problems for yourself. b; unlikely to get things across the way you want. When things are not working out it pays to stand back and take a fresh look. Rather than keep hammering away with 'Yes, but I just wanted to ...' you will often find not only can you side step the problem, but the solution is more elegant. You so often seem to get caught in a rut of this kind, I think it would pay you to learn to recognise them and think "Time for something completely different.

It is interesting that there really doesn't seem to be an opposite to 'whistleblower', 'someone who keeps quiet, either willingly or from coercion, about something which is wrong' is about as near as I can get. Things like 'coward' might be applicable in some cases, but not all, and there are plenty of cowards who wouldn't fit that description as well, interesting.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Ya big secret keeper...

Seriously though, I don’t think there is such a word, unfortunately. Maybe something like ‘Lap dog’ or ‘bitch’ would work. Otherwise you could make something up, as long as it is fairly clear what it means. It could just be read as a term that your crew use.

Arachne

You're complicit? You're colluding with them.

You're an enabler, a collaborator, a conspirator, a coward, a confederate, a quisling, a sympathizer?

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    You could always have the person call them a 'Politician'...

( Don't look at me like that... isn't that exactly what politicians do, more often than not? Look the other way, cover shit up, pretend a situation is anything other than what it is, etc? )

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Facilitator
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast