Independently or through an agent?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Independently or through an agent?

Question Independently or through an agent?

Hello everyone!
    As a new member I try tobegan a new thread.
    My question is how is it difficult to get publish without an agent?
    There are many publisherswho take manuscripts directly from writers, but how is itin practice?
    Anyone have experience?Share, please.
    What are the steps on thisway?
    How hard is it tonegotiate with editors?
    What is the difference infees compared to those who share it with the agents?

Let's discuss this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
    Hello everyone!
    As a new member I try tobegan a new thread.
    My question is how is it difficult to get publish without an agent?
    There are many publisherswho take manuscripts directly from writers, but how is itin practice?
    Anyone have experience?Share, please.
    What are the steps on thisway?
    How hard is it tonegotiate with editors?
    What is the difference infees compared to those who share it with the agents?

Let's discuss this.
    Traditional publishing you need an agent. Only very small publishers read unsolicited manuscripts and few of those pick them up. Self-publishing all you need is the money and time to do the work yourself.

Don't know what you mean by negotiating with editors. Most legitimate editors won't negotiate fees and you should not expect them to. You pay for the service and get what you pay for.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

I write for a niche market (m/m romance) and don't use an agent to send my work to publishers b/c there are only a few legit publishers in the subgenre, I already know them (and they mostly know me) and the advances are small or nonexistent, which makes the market unappealing to most agents. I wouldn't want to lose the 15% to an agent's commission when I don't really need an agent's services.

When I write for larger markets (YA, m/f romance) I go through an agent and she's quite useful. She knows the different publishers better than I do and knows who to contact at different houses, and also knows what should be negotiated in the contracts and what can be left alone (or what's impossible to get changed). She's also been great in bringing different projects TO me, as people looking for a certain type of writing will approach her.

The monetary side of things is hard to really determine, because, of course, every project is different, the markets are different, etc. Certainly in terms of advances, I get more $ from the deals my agent makes, but they're in bigger markets, so I'd be making more money from them anyway, if I were able to sell there.