A Revised Work Sub-forum

Thread: A Revised Work Sub-forum

A Revised Work Sub-forum

Would a revised work sub-forum for the writer's workshop be feasible? I've been wishing this "happened" because I have a story that has been revised several times, and I am afraid of posting it again. Poetry has good support for revisions. I wish fiction got more of the same sort of workshop section. A forum section where only revisions would be posted, and maybe who knows if posting a previous draft would be feasible. By creating a hyperlink, people can compare. I am unsure if that is what I should do. Not many people find themselves in this sort of situation. Thanks for any opinions on this idea. But I could be either right or wrong.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I'm not aware of a "revisions" workshop for poetry, but hey, I wouldn't put anything past those poets.

There is nothing wrong with posting revisions, either as the latest post of the original thread or as the OP of a new thread; for the latter, I would suggest adding (Revised) to the title, and yes, a hyperlink to the original if desired.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

There is nothing wrong with posting revisions, either as the latest post of the original thread or as the OP of a new thread; for the latter, I would suggest adding (Revised) to the title, and yes, a hyperlink to the original if desired.
    Cran is right. In the Poetry Workshop and even in the public poetry forum, most people post the original, then when they revise, they be sure to note that above their revision. It is easier because a poem is not as long as a story and all of the revisions can be added to the original post.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

I thought there was something for the very best poems and there is always the purple pippery (it is called I think) where revision is frequently encouraged. I appreciate the advice. Thanks for the opinions.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I thought there was something for the very best poems and there is always the purple pippery (it is called I think) where revision is frequently encouraged. I appreciate the advice. Thanks for the opinions.
    Ah, well the Purple PiP is a special forum, more like a challenge forum, where the aim is to revise original poems based on dedicated feedback and final assessment is of the overall improvement to each revised poem - a Most Improved rather than a Best, if you like.

The other, if I get your meaning, is for more advanced poets - those who understand the technical terms and mechanics of different poetry forms. The core group were/are writers, editors and/or teachers of poetry as a vocation (or for filthy lucre); they were looking for a home better suited to their needs than the professional network they were using. We gave them one, and are the better for it.
    Last edited by Cran; December 29th, 2018 at 04:27 AM.

I will try to avoid , but a quick comment on how we deal with the LOGISTICS of revisions in Poetry. If the poet has, say, added two commas and changed one word in a 20-line poem, such KB (= Kitchen Business) would be done on the OP. The poet might make the edits in red for the reader's easy reference. If, however, the poet has made more substantive edits, the ENTIRE revised poem would be posted in the first position after the title, labelled "Revision #1". The OP would be posted in second position, for comparison. As Cindy reminded, poems are typically much shorter than fiction, and occasionally a poem will go thru 3 or 4 major revisions: we just stack 'em up, one on top of tother. The method works. For poetry.

Fiction, it seems, is another matter entirely. Theglasshouse (Post #1, this thread) wants a thread wholly dedicated to revisions+ hyperlinks to the OP, for comparison. . .or is there a better way to present revised versions of fiction? Fiction is not my thing, so I stop here but invite fiction writers to step in with suggestions.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Thanks Clark. I feel that it could help writers with less than capable English skills, or who may have a disability. Whatever decision the forum wants is the one I want. Because of the best interest for this forum. There are also young writers, beginning writers. But I know that may not be of best interest. I will respect the decision regardless of what I think. What I give you Clark is my thanks for giving it further serious consideration and thought. Sounds like a group of beginning writers could be the most interested party besides me, who needs to rewrite their story constantly. Writers donīt find editing easy. Whatever the decision, I think I will accept it. Thanks, to everyone who posted in this thread for their opinions.

Is there a reason why the current arrangement - ie, member's choice - or the current available fiction forums do not suit?

Are members feeling stigmatised or chastened for posting revisions, whether as new threads or as new posts in original threads?

No to the first question, I think the main benefit people always get is more feedback. I sort of agree it seems tough to accomplish this. That is more or less the main idea, comparing drafts suggestions can be helpful. But only if people volunteer. I see it as a way to show people the real stages of the process. A revision has 3 parts, rewriting, editing, and proofreading I believe according to beth hillīs book which I own which talks a little but about rewriting. What I was hoping is weīd see people post their revisions at whatever stage it was, whether it needs more adjustments. I agree with you that its purpose doesnīt seem to work since the workshop does the same thing and other areas of the forum.

To the second question. Yes, that was my worry. I was worried people would ignore the revision. Because people would gloss it over unless heavily rewritten. That not all drafts have new events or new content is a fact.

Thanks Cran very much for asking. I donīt think I am right, but I wanted to present my point of view. I accept the fact that it could be counter productive and not do much.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    To the second question. Yes, that was my worry. I was worried people would ignore the revision. Because people would gloss it over unless heavily rewritten. That not all drafts have new events or new content is a fact.
    I wouldn't worry - those who have gone to the trouble of providing feedback to the original post will look with interest to see whether you've taken the advice offered or taken a different tack altogether. Our best critters will not only consider the comparison, but will look at the revision as a standalone post in case there are other changes they missed the first time around, or if the changes have created new issues to address.

People here only tend to ignore those who don't bother with revisions but argue every suggestion offered.

Thanks Cran very much for asking. I donīt think I am right, but I wanted to present my point of view. I accept the fact that it could be counter productive and not do much.
    I encourage you to keep on asking the questions or presenting your point of view - that is why we are here, after all - and sometimes a member's suggestion and reasoning does lead to changes in how the forum accommodates our members' needs and wants.