Brexit. Discussion Only. - Page 39

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29313233343536373839

Thread: Brexit. Discussion Only.

Sorry Pip just correcting misinfo here.

Irish reunification...................will never happen regardless of what Northern Ireland Sein Fein says...........Reasons........The Republics people would never vote to accept it and the Republic could never afford the 10 billion net that the UK subsidises NI every year as the Republic's economy is tanked. .................The EU hasn't got the dosh...........and when the nitty gritty of being that much poorer is put to the population of NI then they would never vote for such.

Really fellas find out some facts instead of reading the Guardian and watching BBC.

Again more misinfo

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post

The real flaw in the UK is the first past the post voting system - I am an advocate of proportional representation. I'm not a recent convert of convenience, because I've believed this since I was old enough to vote (44 years ago). I've maintained this stance even when my party of choice was in office. .
    Yeah you should as they say be careful for what you wish for.

I live in a country of 'proportion representation' and it's the biggest con, biggest mess, biggest catastrophe anybody could have.

What happens is the politicians who get voted in do nothing for their electorate because they don't have any power because unless there is a landslide to one party, the other politicians gang together to stop the right things being done.

This is done if it affects the politicians losing out in some way. So in the end any change for good never comes.

The people are just left frustrated because they simply cannot change a thing even by voting.

The politicians even engineer situations where an election is delayed so that they can keep their lucrative well paid jobs as long as possible.

The country is stuck in a mire where the people want other but the politicians do not want the same and control everything to have their way.

In effect the democracy of the people has been taken away. You could liken it to what has gone on in the British parliament for the past 3.5 years..........stalemate for all the wrong reasons to suit those in parliament and not government and definitely not the people.

The only change comes when the people are given the chance to vote for what they want............as what happened last week and that is best suited to 'first past the post'.

The antics of last summer in Westminister are exactly the results of having proportional representation. In other words no majority.
    Last edited by Biro; December 15th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Again more misinfo

Yeah you should as they say be careful for what you wish for.

I live in a country of 'proportion representation' and it's the biggest con, biggest mess, biggest catastrophe anybody could have.

What happens is the politicians who get voted in do nothing for their electorate because they don't have any power because unless there is a landslide to one party, the other politicians gang together to stop the right things being done.

This is done if it affects the politicians losing out in some way. So in the end any change for good never comes.

The people are just left frustrated because they simply cannot change a thing even by voting.

The politicians even engineer situations where an election is delayed so that they can keep their lucrative well paid jobs as long as possible.

The country is stuck in a mire where the people want other but the politicians do not want the same and control everything to have their way.

In effect the democracy of the people has been taken away. You could liken it to what has gone on in the British parliament for the past 3.5 years..........stalemate for all the wrong reasons to suit those in parliament and not government.

The only change comes when the people are given the chance to vote for what they want............as what happened last week and that is best suited to 'first past the post'.

The antics of last summer in Westminister are exactly the results of having proportional representation. In other words no majority.
    Please don't accuse me of propagating misinformation. The word misinformation strongly implies intent i.e. intentional lies.
    As for the part about PR stopping politicians doing the right thing, it can also stop them doing the wrong thing. First past the post has been abused by governments of both shades in the UK.
    Apart from any of this, I'm not advocating any change in whatever nation you come from - I'm advocating it in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Please don't accuse me of propagating misinformation. The word misinformation strongly implies intent i.e. intentional lies.
    As for the part about PR stopping politicians doing the right thing, it can also stop them doing the wrong thing. First past the post has been abused by governments of both shades in the UK.
    Apart from any of this, I'm not advocating any change in whatever nation you come from - I'm advocating it in the UK.
    I know you are advocating it for the UK because if you read my post it said.....be careful for what you wish for............and then I explained what happens if you have such.

As regards accusations. My reference to misinfo is the reference that 'proportional representation' would solve or even make things better than the system you have....'first past the post'. Again I have explained what happens or can happen if you have such a system.

I have never intended to call anybody a liar or anywhere near.

Everyone, the discussion has run its course. Brexit is a fact, no need to drag it out any further in a discussion here.
    I'd like all of you to read this post:
    https://www.writingforums.com/threads/185141-WF-and-Politics

Happy writing, this thread is now closed.