Brexit. Discussion Only. - Page 30

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit. Discussion Only.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Prorogation is a normal part of Parliamentary procedure. Usually it would happen about once a year for the government to set out its agenda via the Queen's speech. This session has gone on a lot longer than normal, because the government has a wafer-thin majority (it only exists at all due to support from a minor party of young-earthers). With the addition of a new Prime Minister, there is an argument that this is the time for prorogation. However, everyone knows the real reason is to stifle debate about Brexit. We know that government ministers are talking bollocks, the Queen knows they're talking bollocks, and they know they're talking bollocks.
    You see, one thing that is far worse than misusing Parliamentary procedure is to take people for idiots. That is both annoying and frustrating. I would actually have a modicum of respect if they came out with something like: "We have decided to prorogue Parliament in order for the Queen to set out the government's agenda. We also feel that there is too much indecision around Brexit, so we wish to force a Parliamentary decision on the matter." The bollocks and the bullshit are far worse that the actions.
    Very well put, I totally agree. It's sad that something so important has become almost farcical. How must the rest of the world view our situation ? It's embarrassing.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    With the addition of a new Prime Minister, there is an argument that this is the time for prorogation. However, everyone knows the real reason is to stifle debate about Brexit. We know that government ministers are talking bollocks, the Queen knows they're talking bollocks, and they know they're talking bollocks.
    Why have people suddenly stopped believing in coincidences? For years I have been claiming that my novel was inspired by my experiences after I wrote it and people have been saying that these parallels were simply coincidences. Now to me it is blatantly obvious that they could not just have been coincidences, but then why are people now saying that it is blatantly obvious that prorogation around the time of Brexit is not a coincidence? This is Bayesian logic at work, the principle that people are inclined to carry on believing what they previously did regardless of the weight of evidence to the contrary.

So, changing the subject somewhat but maybe staying on the subject of impending disasters, which is more likely, Corbyn ever becoming Prime Minister or Trump ever getting a second term in office?

While on the subject of imminent disasters and setting aside trivial issues like Brexit and such, our thoughts are with those in the path of hurricane Dorian. At least our weather here doesn't depend on EU membership, so far as I know, that is. Will there be WTO rules covering us importing weather from Europe after we leave? Never mind; most of it we get second hand from America anyway.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Why have people suddenly stopped believing in coincidences? For years I have been claiming that my novel was inspired by my experiences after I wrote it and people have been saying that these parallels were simply coincidences. Now to me it is blatantly obvious that they could not just have been coincidences, but then why are people now saying that it is blatantly obvious that prorogation around the time of Brexit is not a coincidence? This is Bayesian logic at work, the principle that people are inclined to carry on believing what they previously did regardless of the weight of evidence to the contrary.

So, changing the subject somewhat but maybe staying on the subject of impending disasters, which is more likely, Corbyn ever becoming Prime Minister or Trump ever getting a second term in office?

While on the subject of imminent disasters and setting aside trivial issues like Brexit and such, our thoughts are with those in the path of hurricane Dorian. At least our weather here doesn't depend on EU membership, so far as I know, that is. Will there be WTO rules covering us importing weather from Europe after we leave? Never mind; most of it we get second hand from America anyway.
    Indeed, this recent spate of global warming has nothing to do with all the hot air emanating from the White House and Westminster. It's complete coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post

I'm not sure about Brexit, but I'm sad to say that unless the Democratic National Convention plays it smart, Trump is going to win again.

If there's some comfort, at least we know there's a hurricane coming. Imagine being alive just 100 years ago and not knowing there was a super strong storm coming until it was literally too late to do anything about it. Galveston, Texas remembers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane) that part.

Getting back to Brexit, there is still a chance. The MPs are, as I understand, are going to do everything in their power to stop Boris, even if they must defy the Queen to do so.

Blog Entries

Her Most Gracious Majesty, the Queen of Writing Forums And Associated Dependencies

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Who is the Queen of WF...
    PiP of course, innit?

Blog Entries
    This thread will be closed mid October.....
    Escorial is proroguing the thread?

I am rather enjoying this, finding it most educational and people are behaving well and not doing trolling and flame wars and things.

And the issue is still alive, I humbly submit, unless and until Britain actually Exits.

Now maybe that means that the thread must continue at least to 31 October 2019 but even then, we cannot say that with certainty now.

So, whom do we put the vote of no-confidence to, and in?

Queen PiP please address us!

There is no truth in the rumour that Boris has been seen carrying barrels of gunpowder into the cellars under the Houses of Parliament, so far as I know.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Changed my mind about blocking the thread but there are a few posters on here I might ban
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Changed my mind about blocking the thread but there are a few posters on here I might ban
    What, for defying the party whip like Boris has with his members? Are you that alike then?

Seeing Corbyn speaking reminds me of the thread here somewhere about "He was the kind of man who ...". In Jeremy's case I can imagine that he could well be the kind of man who never needs to finish a bedtime story.

No whip cream for you...JR
    The only one who can heal you is you.