Brexit. Discussion Only. - Page 28

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18202122232425262728293031323334353638 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit. Discussion Only.

Could a moderator block any more post on this thread until I decide what's best..thanks
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Could a moderator block any more post on this thread until I decide what's best..thanks
    The debate, in general, has certainly just gotten complicated, escorial. Until it's decided whether it's blocked and stopped...

Trump's tweet on it today:

"Would be very hard for Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain’s Labour Party, to seek a no-confidence vote against New Prime Minister Boris Johnson, especially in light of the fact that Boris is exactly what the U.K. has been looking for, & will prove to be “a great one!” Love U.K."

Don't love you, mate. I'd much rather hear the truth from the psychologist's quote below. And you won't get the from Trump or Boris.

Brexit is essentially a coup pulled off at the behest of tax-dodging corporations and misanthropic investors.
    Their only concern for ‘taking back control’ is to rid their own businesses of EU tax laws, financial regulations and employee rights.
    They have been systematically misleading the British public to hate the EU through a constant supply of anti-EU propaganda and lies. [Boris and his Kipper scandal]
    They are sponsoring their friends and collaborators in the Conservative Party to bring about a no-deal Brexit.
    They are on course to instigate social and economic changes that will turn the UK (or what’s left of it) into an enormous cash cow for their own self-interest.
    They are abusing democracy to create a plutocracy.
    Barry McGuinnes.

If the Queen listens and agrees with Boris 'lying through my goddamn kipper packaging teeth' Johnson, we'll know what's feeding her decision, and it won't be anything to do with 'what the people want' in my honest humbles.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Who is the Queen of WF...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    So Boris intends to prorogue parliament in preparation for a new Queen's speech. Ho, ho. Those opposed to this are claiming that it is a purely political and undemocratic move, but most activities in parliament probably are. They would prefer to have another referendum, but with three choices so that the leave votes are split and remainers appear to be in the majority. That is exactly how our simply majority electoral system enables a minority to gain control of the country, so parliament is normally itself formed by an undemocratic process and it just couldn't cope with the blatant democracy of the original simple leave/remain referendum. Corbyn was equally hoping to become PM by forming an emergency government, hardly democratic in itself, but that fell flat, so I don't know what they are complaining about.

No doubt the EU are upset that Boris introduced monarchy as part of the process when most of them no longer have monarchs. The UK doesn't have a written constitution, so unusual situations have to be negotiated. In contrast the EU doesn't appear keen on negotiating at present.
    I thought Brexit was about restoring the supremacy parliamentary sovereignty in the UK. Obviously not if the first act of the government is to effectively suspend parliament.

Democracy is supposed to be about compromise, not all or nothing. 17.4 out of 66 million voted to leave against 16.1 million who wanted to stay - fair enough, we leave (who knows what the ~20 million who didn't vote would have prefered). But it's reasonable to compromise, especially given how close the results were and how much disruption a no deal will have. If hardline line brexiteers had voted for May's compromise we would already have left the EU and the same can be said for hardline remainers. A no deal brexit will be a win for a loud minority. I don't think it a coincidence that the FTSE 100 companies have risen on news of a more likely no deal - they hold significant amounts of foreign currency. The rich will not have to worry so much about a no deal.

Since people are championing direct referendums no in the UK, how about one for no deal vs deal (but leave either way)?

I read on BBC that Corbyn and co will start making attempts to stop Boris (going as far as calling for a vote of no confidence) the minute they convene next Tuesday. So there's still some hope for those not looking forward to a no-deal crash out?

There's also a possibility that the EU might force Boris to accept a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    I read on BBC that Corbyn and co will start making attempts to stop Boris (going as far as calling for a vote of no confidence) the minute they convene next Tuesday. So there's still some hope for those not looking forward to a no-deal crash out?

There's also a possibility that the EU might force Boris to accept a deal?
    If Corbyn insists on leading an interim government I don't think there will be enough parliamentary support for it to succeed. The EU cannot force a deal nor can they negotiate on the Irish backstop - leaving one of their members in the lurch to pacify the UK is a non-starter.

Digressing from Brexit for the moment, could Donald Trump choose to prorogue the House of Representatives for four weeks? No doubt if he could he would. Of course, even Her Majesty only does it on advice from our Prime Minister.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Who is the Queen of WF...
    ? Johnson had to ask the Queen to suspend (prorogue) parliament today. She's agreed. No surprise there... none at all. Here's hoping the other parties can call him out on this bullshit.

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Digressing from Brexit for the moment, could Donald Trump choose to prorogue the House of Representatives for four weeks? No doubt if he could he would. Of course, even Her Majesty only does it on advice from our Prime Minister.
    I dunno... when's the next golfing championship due? We'll find out then. He seems to suspend a day month as is...

Mike Posner.

Boris is being a bad, naughty boy.
    He even got The Queen involved in his shenanigans.
    I just love y'alls parliamentary stuff. It's like Downton Abbey meets House of Cards.

"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"