Brexit. Discussion Only. - Page 16

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Brexit. Discussion Only.

I went to benidorm before the euro and when I got of that aeroplane..I lived like a king for two weeks an the euro took that away from me...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

When the referendum result was announced, Spreadsheet Phil and Mark Carney, shifted the interest rates, pumped billions of QE into the system and narrowly avoided a recession. The GBP dropped from 178 to 131 against the Dollar. Since then it is dropping a little every-time we move closer to Brexit. Massive betting is waiting for the event. I have no idea how low it will go. Cherish your memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    I went to benidorm before the euro and when I got of that aeroplane..I lived like a king for two weeks an the euro took that away from me...

Sigh... I don't know which is worse: Leaving the EU or Boris the buffoon as Prime Minister. If that is the best candidate the conservatives have to offer, God help us. And as for JC, it does not even bear thinking about.... bring back Margaret Thatcher *ducks*
    Hidden Content

Learn more about poet, T.L. Murphy and his recently published poetry book
    'Hidden Content '.
    Check out his interview
    <<Hidden Content >>

Living in a boom or bust economy is fundermental to captalism....greed is the future and the past

Considering how many of these weasels have been putting words in her mouth I think her return would be entertaining.
    Alexander Johnson will last about three weeks before an election will be called. Whack-a-mole on the Titanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Sigh... I don't know which is worse: Leaving the EU or Boris the buffoon as Prime Minister. If that is the best candidate the conservatives have to offer, God help us. And as for JC, it does not even bear thinking about.... bring back Margaret Thatcher *ducks*
    Capitalism is survival of the fittest. You can work solo or as a team. I am by nature a solo git but I recognise the need for some team playing.
    Living in a boom or bust economy is fundermental to captalism....greed is the future and the past

I always remember someone looking after a girl who had used 'It's the survival of the fittest' as a justification for some deviousness and saying 'What makes her think she's fit to survive?'. It is one of those circular things, the fittest survive, fittest for what? fittest for survival. Plus it is a misconception applying it to individuals, it is a species thing. What qualities do make us fitter to survive as a species? At the moment I would put my money on bacteria and blue-green algae.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    he never turned up on the TV debate an one of the losing contenders has supported him..why because he thinks he will do a good job our keep himself on the winners side and stay on the gravy train...for me the Tories are bankrupt and are looking to a populist celeb..if costing the tax payer 40 million quid over a bridge never built is were they put their faith in a man running the country their judgement is poor...I reckon
    Last edited by escorial; June 17th, 2019 at 09:41 AM.

the abb will be hoping to challenge their rival after the cut tonight on TV...Boris can and does deflect so much that pisses others of but what they may not get is that he has no shame..very trumpish..they all think they are more intelligent and capable then he is but it's just ego..seems Florence of Arabia is making headway an he fits the stereotype..Eton boy...

Your profile is similar to esther mcvey
    Do you mean me? I don't see the similarity. She became a director in her father's business while my father worked nights as a porter at London Bridge station unloading the fish for Billingsgate Market from the trains. He also loaded the early morning newspaper trains with the daily papers from Fleet Street. Hardly a family business then.

Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    I know you are not racist. Is there another reason behind your anti-EU stance?
    I wouldn't know what race to represent if I were. My DNA indicates that my family origins were in Germany and my father was born a south bank Cockney in London. My own birthday is United Nations day, so that's the only flag that I would salute as the UN was created for the sake of the futures of wartime children like me everywhere. The EU is exclusive but the UN isn't. No deal with the EU is effectively the same deal with every country, not exclusion but equitable inclusion. Boris has the right idea, to work from a no deal basis. If the EU won't agree to a deal then there can be no deal because of their attitude. The blame for that can't just lie with our government any more than the UK could be blamed for border controls imposed by the EU at the Irish border because we didn't have a trade deal with them. There's talk of the UK breaking the Good Friday agreement, but actually it will be the EU putting up the barriers and closing that border, not us, if it happens. Boris would just leave the border open and arrange a more reasonable system for dealing with the trade issue if the EU would only agree to it. Our main concern with the Irish border is that even now it is an easy route into the UK used by illegal immigrants. Instead of risking their lives in tiny dinghies crossing the channel the smart ones go to Ireland and cross the open border from the EU there. If immigration was a key factor in the Brexit referendum then that's something to be clamped down on anyway even if we don't leave.

Anyway, my angel and I are just setting the record straight with the government by voting for Brexit. We were never asked whether we wanted to join the EU, so obviously when we were asked whether we wanted to leave our attitude was "leave what? Something that we never joined in spirit?" For our own purposes we still measure things in miles, yards, feet and inches and pounds and ounces much as many of our generation do. I still think of temperatures in Fahrenheit and convert to that as well. The only referendum so far as I recollect was about joining the Common Market, which was just a trade deal without all the trappings of a federal Europe. The decisions not to adopt the Euro nor join the Schengen Area weren't made via a referendum either, not that we disagreed with them. How about the proposal to use Central European time right across Europe to make life a bit easier for businesses? How's that debate going lately? Wouldn't that be the last straw, the country that originated the concept of universal time not being able to use its own time zone, the one that started it all, GMT? Who cares about what the sun's doing in the sky when European unity is at stake? Actually we do, especially since we live so close to the meridian line at the very heart of the GMT zone. My DNA may be German and I may have learned their language at school but that doesn't mean that I have to pretend that I live there regardless of where the sun is.

No, Boris is right, that we should start with a clean slate and decide where we want to position ourselves in the world, just as we always have. It's in our nature. If that means temporarily not having a trade deal with the EU then that's a joint problem, not one-sided. Equally that doesn't mean that Trump can muscle in with his idea of a deal. We feel much the same about the USA, especially considering who they have chosen to represent them. A long time ago an American friend drew a parallel between Boris and Trump and I seriously disagreed with him. Trump is a one trick pony in comparison to Boris to my mind. Oh yes, by the way, there's still something called the Commonwealth around and it has sensible countries like Canada and Australia and us in it. Back in my childhood we were taught that that organisation was central to our existence, not any European alliance or the UN or NATO. Perhaps Ireland should join that to solve the border problem.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I'm a poor judge of character...water pistols at dawn