Precision versus accessibility versus ...?

Blog Entries

Precision versus accessibility versus ...?

I get the impression that some writers are concerned with how accessible their writing is - both to themselves and readers, while others focus on a sort of gold standard in their craft. Which are you, and why?

I try to be a bit of a precision writer. The reason? I enjoy it; it's actually more fun for me, and more absorbing, like time spent "in the zone". Of course the result is 2 monoliths of impenetrably mauve text over the best part of six years' writing. Well, there is some short stuff too But that's just how I like it.

You? What do YOU think about this?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    I like to put what's in my head down with as much detail as possible.

Why? Because I believe it's a good story, with well-fleshed out characters, and I want it all to be "seen" in detail, with no more left out than has to be.

Is it a long story? Oh yeah.

But it looks like to me a long story is acceptable, so long as it's a good story.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

I want my writing to sell to people who are buying the book with money, not to English professors.

I've sometimes been accused of trying to appear smart by always speaking and writing in a formal voice. The truth is, the developmental conditions I was born with caused me to learn language like that.

As such, I can only hope that there are even selective groups that would enjoy my writting style.
    Oh say, what is truth? 'Tis the fairest gem
    That the riches of worlds can produce,
    And priceless the value of truth will be when
    The proud monarch's costliest diadem
    Is counted but dross and refuse.

I'd love to focus on the gold standard but unfortunately money matters to me (as in, I really like it!) so i'm afraid I need to write for a bigger audience to have a hope of making some. I would like it to be an intelligent audience with impeccable taste however

In truth, I don't think I have the skill to pull off the precision writing and I don't want to feel like I'm flogging a dead horse. I'd rather succeed with a few, fairly decent novels for normal people to enjoy.

Maybe one day I could do something a bit more high brow if I succeeded first with the simpler stuff. I often think it would be a good idea to write under a different name for this reason actually.

Anyway, at the moment I just hope to get to the end of my first novel, making any money from it is a far distant dream.

Good question bd.

Arachne

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I get the impression that some writers are concerned with how accessible their writing is - both to themselves and readers, while others focus on a sort of gold standard in their craft. Which are you, and why?

I try to be a bit of a precision writer. The reason? I enjoy it; it's actually more fun for me, and more absorbing, like time spent "in the zone". Of course the result is 2 monoliths of impenetrably mauve text over the best part of six years' writing. Well, there is some short stuff too But that's just how I like it.

You? What do YOU think about this?
    The dichotomy you're setting up doesn't make sense to me. I think "precision", if you mean it as "choosing the exact right word to convey the effect you want" is an important aspect of making writing accessible. Similarly, I think the "gold standard" of writing probably involves it being accessible to readers?

Or maybe you're using "accessible" in a way I don't understand? Do you mean it as a euphemism for "simplistic" or something?

From my perspective, I want my writing to be precise, accessible, and​ at something approaching a gold standard. These things don't seem mutually exclusive, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Like Bayview, I'm not fully sure what this "gold standard" is. Though I suppose everyone would have their own definition.

To me, the gold standard in fiction writing is to give the readers "the feels". If I can make readers swoon, or grit their teeth, or weep, or turn those pages with an obsessive sort of ferocity, then I'll feel that I've made it.

I'm not sure I fall in either category, I do my best to make sure my material is readable. Beyond that I don't necessarily try to reach any particular audience. Would I love to grow my readership? sure, who wouldn't? but at the same time if I'm not writing for myself then there isn't a point ya know? As long as I find the stories I'm putting down fascinating, then to me that's all that matters. That being said, if someone had a story prompt they wanted me to run with, I'd have no issue going along with it but I won't write to please others, just myself. (call me selfish) lol
    "I routinely wish I had something clever to say, often times I'm disappointed"
    Check me out on WordPress Hidden Content !

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    The fact is, no matter what you write, or how, somebody out there is gonna love it, and somebody else is gonna hate it.

That's just how it is.

It's reaching the right ones that's the trick.

I saw an interview with George R. R. Martin a while back, and the interviewer asked him when he knew or thought that it was worthwhile to be a writer.

His answer was "Oh, about 3 years ago."

The interview was during the 4th or 5th season of HBO's Game of Thrones. And the man has been writing since he was a kid.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."