Precision versus accessibility versus ...? - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precision versus accessibility versus ...?

I would prefer to "Make 'em think, make 'em think, make 'em think" along with that laugh, but I'm probably asking way too much.

G.D.

P.S., A couple of odd thoughts concerning old musicals and such:

I will certainly not be "Singin' in the Rain" any damned time soon, and...

If you wanna see one of the funniest versions of "The Three Musketeers" you'll ever find, go look up the version with Gene Kelly, and a very young Angela Lansbury.

The Three Musketeers 1948 First Battle.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; December 11th, 2018 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Added a link. And the eternal typos...
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Quote Originally Posted by Dluuni View Post
    I want my writing to sell to people who are buying the book with money, not to English professors.
    Sarcastically funny, but makes sense.

I'm not defending myself, but all these times I feel I'm worrying about not writing like Shakespeare and Mark Twain.

Meanwhile, I am making an entertainment and I want people to enjoy and have fun reading my stories. I know my stories aren't meant to be high class literature.

My target is that the readers can feel it, drown in it, and feel lost and lonely after the story ends.

So I'm more towards 'accessibility', I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I get the impression that some writers are concerned with how accessible their writing is - both to themselves and readers, while others focus on a sort of gold standard in their craft. Which are you, and why?

I try to be a bit of a precision writer. The reason? I enjoy it; it's actually more fun for me, and more absorbing, like time spent "in the zone". Of course the result is 2 monoliths of impenetrably mauve text over the best part of six years' writing. Well, there is some short stuff too But that's just how I like it.

You? What do YOU think about this?
    I'm also not sure what you mean by precision and accessibility. Some examples might help. To me, precise writing is accessible. The more precisely I transfer my thoughts to language the more easily my readers will slip into the world I've created. I never worry about my reader's ability to comprehend what I'm writing. I just write it the best way I know. I figure my readers are, for the greatest part, at least as intelligent as I am (some are probably far smarter than I) so I never consider 'writing down' to them (accessibility?) nor do I try to impress them with my style. I just write the story the way it wants to be written.

Who are some of the writers you consider accessible? Who are the precise ones?
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

For the most part I don't find precision and accessibility to be in conflict, but sometimes when it comes to specific words the most precise term may not be well-known. For example, the word for the vertical divider between a pair of double doors is "astragal" (or mullion if it's removable), but it's not like I want to force my readers to look up a word in the middle of an action sequence or something. On the other hand, there's not really a better term--"vertical divider" is clunky, and "pillar" is too imprecise. So. . .I don't know, really.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12