Lamentations of the lazy

Lamentations of the lazy

It's been something of A year since I last attempted to write something. Once, it was my dearest ambition to, more than anything else, write a fantasy novel. I believed I had talent, I thought I had ambition. I thought my imagination would force me to strive for nothing else.

Now, I can't even write a sentence without second guessing myself. Worse yet, my unrestrained wishy-washiness has barred me from writing anything longer than 3 and 3/4 pages of anything.

The worst part is that I can't seem to let it go and move on. I feel unbearably ashamed for abandoning what was once considered my favorite hobby.

If only I was more confident in my writing ability. If only I could bear feeling like a poser when I try, so that I may no longer suffer feeling like a quiter.

The point of this post? Don't be like me. If you have the faith to keep going, you already have that much more on a quiter like me. You are what you believe, and I believed I wouldn't ever improve or get anywhere.

Maybe an older, more mature clone of myself will pick up the pen where I discarded it, and no longer ignore his muses. Perhaps that man will come along tomorrow, or perhaps he will come with silver hair and gnarled hands.

When that happens, I'll be sure to continue indulging in all you member's helpful and friendly attitudes. In the mean time, however, remember this cautionary tale, and let things be different for yourself.
    Oh say, what is truth? 'Tis the fairest gem
    That the riches of worlds can produce,
    And priceless the value of truth will be when
    The proud monarch's costliest diadem
    Is counted but dross and refuse.

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    I don't get it... Are ya just lazy, or suffering from some confidence issue or the other?

...not that I'm apt to be of much help in either case, it's just I'm curious as to what the actual problem is; a lack of motivation, or insecurity.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbeast32 View Post
    It's been something of A year since I last attempted to write something. Once, it was my dearest ambition to, more than anything else, write a fantasy novel. I believed I had talent, I thought I had ambition. I thought my imagination would force me to strive for nothing else.

Now, I can't even write a sentence without second guessing myself. Worse yet, my unrestrained wishy-washiness has barred me from writing anything longer than 3 and 3/4 pages of anything.

The worst part is that I can't seem to let it go and move on. I feel unbearably ashamed for abandoning what was once considered my favorite hobby.

If only I was more confident in my writing ability. If only I could bear feeling like a poser when I try, so that I may no longer suffer feeling like a quiter.

The point of this post? Don't be like me. If you have the faith to keep going, you already have that much more on a quiter like me. You are what you believe, and I believed I wouldn't ever improve or get anywhere.

Maybe an older, more mature clone of myself will pick up the pen where I discarded it, and no longer ignore his muses. Perhaps that man will come along tomorrow, or perhaps he will come with silver hair and gnarled hands.

When that happens, I'll be sure to continue indulging in all you member's helpful and friendly attitudes. In the mean time, however, remember this cautionary tale, and let things be different for yourself.

Books don't write themselves.
    So get off yer ass and go write something.
    This is a forum for writers.

Actually, I do all my writing sittin' on my ass.

If I have to get up... I don't write.

...sooo, in my case, laziness helps?

Helluva paradox.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Blog Entries

Well I read this bit and I think: you definitely have the chops. One question: do you still daydream?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    One question: do you still daydream?
    Yes, any time I'm not cognitively engaged in something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    I don't get it... Are ya just lazy, or suffering from some confidence issue or the other?

...not that I'm apt to be of much help in either case, it's just I'm curious as to what the actual problem is; a lack of motivation, or insecurity.

G.D.
    Anxiety is the problem. It's been the problem even since I was no longer called a toddler. But if I do nothing to defeat this scourge of my life, then how is it any different from laziness?

Blog Entries
    Yes, any time I'm not cognitively engaged in something else.
    Well, good! Then you have the raw data, and you have the writing ability to make something of it, should you want to. You just need to rediscover your joy in writing, to re-connect the two. Everyone - even the top writer and those in other fields - suffers from impostor syndrome on occasion. I guess their scales are just tipped in favour of enjoying their craft.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Anxiety is the problem. It's been the problem even since I was no longer called a toddler. But if I do nothing to defeat this scourge of my life, then how is it any different from laziness?
    Depends. Do you not try to do anything about it because you can't be bothered, or because you're afraid to? Or maybe just don't know how?

It makes a difference.

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.