Should I use colors as codenames for my villains?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should I use colors as codenames for my villains?

Should I use colors as codenames for my villains?

For my screenplay, I have a gang of villains who would use codenames while talking to each other, so the police or anyone possibly listening in, could not pick up on who they are.

I was having trouble coming up with codenames for them and thought, maybe I could do colors, instead of numbers or letters, but there are two movies that already had color codenames, which were The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, and Reservoir Dogs.

So I am wondering if it will be seen as been there, done that, therefore. What do you think?

I don’t think you’d get away with it, unless the characters themselves are fans of one of the movies and are copying.

If not then it would just look like you’re lacking your own ideas.

Arachne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    For my screenplay, I have a gang of villains who would use codenames while talking to each other, so the police or anyone possibly listening in, could not pick up on who they are.

I was having trouble coming up with codenames for them and thought, maybe I could do colors, instead of numbers or letters, but there are two movies that already had color codenames, which were The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, and Reservoir Dogs.

So I am wondering if it will be seen as been there, done that, therefore. What do you think?
    When I first read this question, I thought Reservoir Rogs, so I would say it will likely be seen as derivative. See if you can nickname your villains by some convention that relates to something, eg where they're from, or anything else that's relevant to them. Use it to show something.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Add another who immediately thought of Reservoir Dogs. Feels derivative.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    Add another who immediately thought of Reservoir Dogs. Feels derivative.
    Ding, dang...ding-a-dang, dang it!
    Okay... numbers, I'm thinking that they call each other numbers.

Code name them after Greek, Norse, or Roman gods.

Or trees

Or states

Or positions on a baseball field; short-stop, catcher, pitcher, etc.

Or city names

Or any one of about a bazzillion other things. This really isn't difficult. If you can't make this simple choice, how are you going to make the tough choices?
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

If you knew your characters well enough, you'd know what codenames they would use.

So instead of wondering, "What codenames can I come up with for them as the writer?", you should be thinking, "What codenames would they choose?"

Plus, you can always make it an in joke in the setting. "Wait, we're using colors for code names? Didn't they do that in Reservoir Dogs?" "They use colors for their radio names? At least we know they like Reservoir Dogs."

Reservoir dogs.
    And that is about the only place where I can remember anyone pulling off that naming convention. I read something recently where they tried it (published by a big publishing house) and it just did not work--detracted from the rest of the story.

I dunno... Chartreuse, Teal, Mauve, Bisque... Might work.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast