Should I use colors as codenames for my villains? - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    From the cynic's gallery:

    You do realise that from a literal standpoint this thread comes off sounding a bit like, name my characters because I have not bothered to, (either write scene or develop the undesignated characters.) I'm going to say what I tell witers who fail to give Questing Guy a name. It signals a major lack of commitment on the writer's part if they cannot do something as simple as name a character just to give X a frame of reference and a hint of humanisation.

    Forum names the characters of author X they no longer belong to the author...because that author had no role in their development. Author is standing there with an idea and no characters to play the parts because they could not be bother to assert ownership of their idea and follow through.

    Sorry, but this feels like someone filling in the answers of their neighbor's homework...

    (Stay tuned for the Further Adventures of Randy, Snark, and Asperity...)


  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Sorry, but this feels like someone filling in the answers of their neighbor's homework...
    10/10 for observation.

    Welcome to the world of the ironpony thread: A magical place where the only thing more pointless than trying to help is scoffing at those who do...
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

    Hidden Content



  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    They want to stay secret so I would have to come up with codenames that those characters would decide on. I could do the dwarfs just not sure if they would use the seven dwarfs particularly.
    What codenames would they use, then?

    If you asked most writers what codenames their characters would use, they should be able to tell you without a second's hesitation. I know I could. This is because writers should know their characters.

    Instead of asking strangers online what your characters would call themselves, ask your characters. The answers they give you might surprise you.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dluuni View Post
    After asking a question, please do not argue that the answer you got in response is wrong. It is incredibly frustrating.
    Oh sorry, are you talking about the codename suggestions or the villain's motive?

    Well I could go with the suggestion of the seven dwarfs maybe then.

  5. #55
    Member Guard Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Posts
    794
    There's always chess pieces... King, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn, etc.

    Add a color to each of those, Black King, White King, Red King... or any combination thereof, and you can have a whole army of arrogant, self-serving, rape-monster criminals.

    Plus you get your colors.




    G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

    "The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

  6. #56
    Yep that's another idea too. I was thinking maybe the characters would just go by numbers maybe and they would just leave it at that perhaps.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Because writing about a code-named gang that goes around raping women for no other reason other than "because they're evildoers" isn't in the least bit predictable, right?

    There you go again being a contrary.
    A few months ago when I told him to write it right, you argued that it was better if he just wrote the thing.
    You spoke of how he would feel bad for the rest of his life if he never wrote the book, and I said it would be worse if he wrote it wrong.
    So today I essentially repeated your assertion from months past and it is automatically wrong.

    See, you are being a contrary. Whatever I post, you disagree with automatically.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    There you go again being a contrary.
    A few months ago when I told him to write it right, you argued that it was better if he just wrote the thing.
    You spoke of how he would feel bad for the rest of his life if he never wrote the book, and I said it would be worse if he wrote it wrong.
    So today I essentially repeated your assertion from months past and it is automatically wrong.

    See, you are being a contrary. Whatever I post, you disagree with automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    There you go again being a contrary.
    A few months ago when I told him to write it right, you argued that it was better if he just wrote the thing.
    You spoke of how he would feel bad for the rest of his life if he never wrote the book, and I said it would be worse if he wrote it wrong.
    So today I essentially repeated your assertion from months past and it is automatically wrong.

    See, you are being a contrary. Whatever I post, you disagree with automatically.
    Golly, you remember what I wrote from months ago? I don't know whether to be flattered, afraid, pitying or guilty - I seldom remember what you wrote five minutes later, let alone months.

    At no point did I say he (is it a he?) shouldn't write this thing. At no point did I say he should. I don't care. I certainly don't think they should sit on idea for fear of rejection or whatever, which I'm pretty sure was the deal last time. However since the Op mentioned that their story revolves around a gang who rape women AND that his reason for them doing this is "because they are evil" AND that he is considering giving them cute nicknames, I am simply saying that it sounds like he isn't approaching a delicate subject with a whole lot of thought (we both know he isn't) and that there is a better-than-good chance it will backfire (we both know it will). So spare me the platitudes and white-knighting.

    As far as the whole "whatever I post, you disagree with automatically" - I am not going down that hole. I think I liked a post of yours last night or whatever. So what? I disagree when I think you're wrong. It's not my fault if I don't agree with you very often. It's not yours either. If you feel so hurt by this then use your ignore button or send me a PM. Stop bringing it up in the middle of discussions.
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

    Hidden Content



  9. #59
    Member Sir-KP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    103
    Of course I too think of Reservoir Dogs.

    The real question is more like why do they have colors as codenames?

    If you have a rational answer to that and is told in the story, do it. Otherwise, don't.

    Color codename itself is non copyright material and technically you can use it. But in the popular culture, as we can see, we all know Reservoir Dogs is known for that.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Golly, you remember what I wrote from months ago? I don't know whether to be flattered, afraid, pitying or guilty - I seldom remember what you wrote five minutes later, let alone months.

    At no point did I say he (is it a he?) shouldn't write this thing. At no point did I say he should. I don't care. I certainly don't think they should sit on idea for fear of rejection or whatever, which I'm pretty sure was the deal last time. However since the Op mentioned that their story revolves around a gang who rape women AND that his reason for them doing this is "because they are evil" AND that he is considering giving them cute nicknames, I am simply saying that it sounds like he isn't approaching a delicate subject with a whole lot of thought (we both know he isn't) and that there is a better-than-good chance it will backfire (we both know it will). So spare me the platitudes and white-knighting.

    As far as the whole "whatever I post, you disagree with automatically" - I am not going down that hole. I think I liked a post of yours last night or whatever. So what? I disagree when I think you're wrong. It's not my fault if I don't agree with you very often. It's not yours either. If you feel so hurt by this then use your ignore button or send me a PM. Stop bringing it up in the middle of discussions.
    Well I didn't mean to imply that the villains are doing it cause they are evil only in reason. Someone asked me before why I thought such a villain was acceptable to write, and I responded by saying that other villains in fiction do evil things, so why is rape not on the table as for as evil doings for villains. But the villains themselves have their own reasons for doing it, it's not just evil only for them.

    As for the me wanting cute nicknames, my original question is whether or not color nicknames would be a good idea. Unless color nicknames are cute though? I never thought of them as cute if they are.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.