Should I use colors as codenames for my villains? - Page 4

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should I use colors as codenames for my villains?

Police have standardised procedures to minimise miscommunication and potential legal complications. There is no gimmick and unless these criminal masterminds has seen service in military, law enforcement, emergency response services, security constructs, or have been at the organised crime thing for a long time, standardised communication is not going to be par for the course. Establish a working construct, (rough draft), and your pieces should fall into place without having the public name your characters...
    Last edited by Darkkin; December 5th, 2018 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    I can think about it more...
    That's literally the last thing you need to do.

I'm serious ironpony, I have never, NEVER, spent more than a few rich minutes on a character name - except once and that was only because I had the urge to make it an anagram (after a day or so of nothing I dropped that). I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest most people on here don't really give theirs that much thought either. Like, my character's name is usually the first thing that pops into my head I don't immediately dislike. That's it. That's all you need.

The very notion you would spend MORE time on something this inconsequential is the perfect example of why you so frequently attract snark. You might have some good ideas. You might be a good writer. Neither of those things matter if you spend all your time second-guessing over irrelevancies.

Use my Seven Dwarf idea - it's a damn fabulous idea and I'm kind of annoyed I don't have a story to use it in myself - and get on with the work.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Oh well it's just I was told to think of codenames that would fit their characters or their theme so I thought that would require more thought compared to a normal birth given name. As for the dwarf idea, it is a good idea, it's just I was planning on having possibly more than just seven of them, that's all.

Blog Entries
    Oh well it's just I was told to think of codenames that would fit their characters or their theme so I thought that would require more thought compared to a normal birth given name. As for the dwarf idea, it is a good idea, it's just I was planning on having possibly more than just seven of them, that's all.
    Just extend the dwarf-idea and use some additional emotions, so alongside Dopey, Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy, Happy, Sleepy and Doc, you could have Boastful, Hyper, Randy, Self-Deprecating, Vitriolic, Troubled, and Nails.

I mean, I'm just brainstorming here but this way they could have come up with the nicknames based on the person's general character. And besides - who wouldn't want a story about a dwarf called Randy?

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Colours are too specific and disassociative therefore hard to remember. False names and, in America, specially of the ethnic kind, can lead police in the wrong direction (just read the statistics). If you are a blue-eyed blond of Swedish extraction and are referred to as Jesus or Okawando, the American police will, as usual, jump to a conclusion and rush around looking for Latinos or Africans - Sorry to sound cynical, but it cannot be gainsaid...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

For my screenplay, I have a gang of villains who would use codenames while talking to each other, so the police or anyone possibly listening in, could not pick up on who they are.

I was having trouble coming up with codenames for them and thought, maybe I could do colors, instead of numbers or letters, but there are two movies that already had color codenames, which were The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, and Reservoir Dogs.

So I am wondering if it will be seen as been there, done that, therefore. What do you think?
    Once upon a time, and long ago, there was no electricity. That meant there was no Internet, no television, no movies. Stories and plays were the available forms of entertainment.

In those days, some stories and plays were no longer told/acted, and the content was forgotten. New generations could come up with the same ideas, and it was original. Again.

Today everything is preserved. That makes it unlikely that you could come up with something that hasn't been done already. So there's little point worrying about that.

Do what works for you and your story. Then remember the critics will always be ready to criticize. If they are complaining about your work, at least they are talking about it.

Good luck!

In order to answer the question, what would the characters do, and I seem them using colors since it's simple
    Simple to you the writer, or simple to the characters?

Which of your characters like simple things, and which ones like complex things? Which ones like elegance and which ones like coarseness? Which ones worry about codenames and which ones simply don't give a shit?

I'm guessing your "villains" aren't just one homogenous group with a singular hive mind; they're individuals with their own thoughts and tastes.

Perhaps you can include a scene where they argue about this whole codename concept?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony
    ... and logically most criminals wouldn't care if the police compared them to Reservoir Dogs, so my characters wouldn't care.
    Are your characters logical types? Do they think and behave like "most criminals"?

What would they care about?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony
    But I, the writer would so I should still think of something else then, if people are going to see it that way.
    If you want to think of something other than colors, do it. But don't do it because you're worried about what others might think. Do it because you feel it's right for the story. And do it because it's what the characters would do.

Personally, I'm not convinced that you know your characters well enough. If you did, you wouldn't have to ask others for codename ideas—your characters would have their own codenames that apply uniquely to them.

And yes, even "villains" need to be thought about as characters—otherwise you run into problems like this, where you don't know your villains well enough, so you're unsure what they would even want to call themselves.

The better you know your characters, the more these kinds of creative problems tend to solve themselves.
    Last edited by Kyle R; December 5th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.

Okay thanks! Well the villains in my story a group of people who are going around committing rape crimes, mostly because of how they are treated by the opposite sex so they are going around doing it to make their own statement, but the police do not know who they are. They want to stay secret so I would have to come up with codenames that those characters would decide on. I could do the dwarfs just not sure if they would use the seven dwarfs particularly.

Well the villains in my story a group of people who are going around committing rape crimes, mostly because of how they are treated by the opposite sex so they are going around doing it to make their own statement
    Why don't you call them Pathetic Incel Loser #1, Pathetic Incel Loser #2, Pathetic Incel Loser #3, etc.?

(In case you haven't caught on, I continue to STRONGLY object to your attempts to explain the horrific behaviour of these characters as "mostly because of how they are treated by the opposite sex".)

Oh okay, thanks. Well they are the villains, so they are expected to be evildoers that need to be stopped, or so that is what I intended.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast