Should I use colors as codenames for my villains? - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should I use colors as codenames for my villains?

That's what I was thinking too, just use colors that were not used in Reservoir Dogs, but there is not enough different colors that were not used, to go around for all of them, I don't think. But what if I did use more exotic named colors, such as those or like Sage, Cyan, Amaranth, or Azure...

Would that be different enough that readers will not think of Reservoir Dogs?

Why use colors at all? It's an obvious rip-off of Reservoir Dogs, so why set yourself up for that? But do what you want. Trying to help you is pointless.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Wait... He thought I was serious???

*facepalm*

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    That's what I was thinking too, just use colors that were not used in Reservoir Dogs, but there is not enough different colors that were not used, to go around for all of them, I don't think. But what if I did use more exotic named colors, such as those or like Sage, Cyan, Amaranth, or Azure...

Would that be different enough that readers will not think of Reservoir Dogs?
    No. You may as well have a large sign over you saying "Not ripping off Reservoir Dogs" at this point. And besides which, Messrs. Teal, Fuchsia and Robins-Egg just don't cut it as particularly villainous names. Choose a different convention: maybe clouds (Mr. Nimbus, Mr. Cumulus), or the periodic table of elements (Mr. Cadmium, Mr. Lead) or my own favourite, the various types of spanner (Mr. Adjustable, Mr. Open-Ended, Mr. Wrench). Now those guys have some serious personality (issues)!

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    For my screenplay, I have a gang of villains who would use codenames while talking to each other, so the police or anyone possibly listening in, could not pick up on who they are.

I was having trouble coming up with codenames for them and thought, maybe I could do colors, instead of numbers or letters, but there are two movies that already had color codenames, which were The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, and Reservoir Dogs.

So I am wondering if it will be seen as been there, done that, therefore. What do you think?
    Rather than colours, why not use the names of animals or birds'
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Oh I just thought of the idea of using different colors before. I could use something else then. In order to answer the question, what would the characters do, and I seem them using colors since it's simple, and logically most criminals wouldn't care if the police compared them to Reservoir Dogs, so my characters wouldn't care. But I, the writer would so I should still think of something else then, if people are going to see it that way.

Blog Entries
    I'd name 'em after breakfast cereal mascots: Tony the Tiger, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Leprechaun, etc. and I'd toss in a few other food mascots, like Charlie Tuna or something.

But that's just me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    I'd name 'em after breakfast cereal mascots: Tony the Tiger, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Leprechaun, etc. and I'd toss in a few other food mascots, like Charlie Tuna or something.

But that's just me.
    Actually, that's not a bad idea!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Yeah that's not a bad idea, or something like that! I will keep thinking then.

Personally, I'd give them nick names.
    No, not colors, not code names, not named after breakfast cereals or bisquits, just nicknames.

See, a nickname not only helps keep the character straight in the reader's mind, but the right nickname can actually help to illustrate a character. If you have a character nicknamed 'Rape' then the reader gets an idea what that guy is all about. A chatracter called 'Undertaker' would also be quite revealing.

Nicknames.

BTW: The reason that they used colors for names in Resevoir Dogs is because they were an assembled team. Someone else put the job together and hired them as freelancers. None of them knew each other, and the code names were so they couldn't dime each other out.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast