Slavery 19th Century - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I didn't say it was true, I just meant I didn't know whether it was true or not but felt it was a bit rude to say that, and I try to avoid being rude if I can

Your info sounds interesting but, again supporting my original point, I don't have the time it would take to check your sources for myself and cross reference them against others, as I didn't have time to check GDs, so I can't comment on the accuracy of them.

I hope it helps the OP to build up a picture of what it was like in the north, do you happen to remember the name of the book you mentioned? That could help.
    Twelve Years a Slave

Here's a link to the thread : https://www.writingforums.com/thread...17#post2194517

I completely agree. I actually plan on taking a trip down to Charleston, SC to completely immerse myself in the history of it and make connections with professionals on the subject. This topic is so big and sensitive that I will not put my name on it unless my book does it justice.
    Write what you feel, say what you want to say, paint that picture, and move on! Don't apologize.

The book is 12 Years A Slave and I've actually been listening to the audiobook to better understand the daily life of that time. It has been a saving grace on the topic and I recommend it to everyone I can.
    Write what you feel, say what you want to say, paint that picture, and move on! Don't apologize.

In 12 Years A Slave, a memoir from the 1800s, Solomon described that he was born from free parents and was himself free. He received an education, he traveled, and worked honestly to provide for his wife and children. He also expressed that in the north, unlike the south, he could stand level-eyed with white men. So I do believe it was different in northern and southern regions. However, I won't assume anything. I only can do thorough research and do this subject justice.

Brilliant, I canít wait to read your book one day, it sounds like it will be right up my street.

Arachne

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Nica, one of the suggestions I have for your research, is that if you get the chance, visit places like the various museums dedicated to life in certain areas around that time, not necessarily those dedicated to say, the civil war.

I've been through more battle fields and war related museums, here in TN and elsewhere than I care to even think about, yet learned as much or more about life back then in places like the Museum of the Appalachias, out at the east end of the state, and The Hermitage.

Anyway, look around and see what you can find, both locally and in the areas in question. And also remember that the history books are usually written by the winners of wars, not the losers.
    ( Sometimes the most valuable information will turn up 'off the beaten trail' and not with the usual collection of 'facts'. )

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

Sounds like an interesting project. Being from Arizona, we don't have any of that history really. During the civil war Arizonans were mostly just busy trying to not get scalped, shot, or stampeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Sounds like an interesting project. Being from Arizona, we don't have any of that history really. During the civil war Arizonans were mostly just busy trying to not get scalped, shot, or stampeded.
    Ralph, on behalf of a quarter of my relatives, I apologize for the inconvenience. Well, maybe an eighth, out that far west.

...though I'm pretty sure that if they were still alive, they'd still want for y'all to go the hell away.

( I'm 1/8th Lakota Sioux and 1/8th Cherokee. It was probably that first bunch that wanted to give you folks a haircut. )

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

One of the things I've always found funny is many people's apparent belief that everybody in the south owned slaves.

The fact is, only the wealthy, or relatively wealthy did.

The big plantations and such, sure. The average farmer? Probably not.

So, as with most anything else, follow the money, and that's where you'd likely find slaves back then, north or south

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; December 7th, 2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typos
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    One of the things I've always found funny is many people's apparent belief that everybody in the south owned slaves.

The fact is, only the wealthy, or relatively wealth did.

The big plantations and such, sure. The average farmer? Probably not.

So, as with most anything else, follow the money, and that's where you'd likely find slaves back then, north or south

G.D.
    Define 'north'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast