HARD LESSON ABOUT USING YOUR EMAIL LISTS!

Thread: HARD LESSON ABOUT USING YOUR EMAIL LISTS!

Lightbulb HARD LESSON ABOUT USING YOUR EMAIL LISTS!

This morning, I was excited to send emails to the folks on my small, but growing email list (less than 50) announcing the launch of my brand new book about book marketing tips. A few minutes later, I rec'd an ANGRY response from someone complaining that they never get emails from me and the 1st one they rec'd was a promotion of my new book. Ouch! That hurt. But the truth is they were absolutely right! While I do a decent job of posting updates about my books/speeches on social media and my author website, I have more or less neglected my email list. Lesson learned: I need to do a better job of communicating to my email list and not just wait til book launches. Hope this lesson helps a few of my fellow authors here.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Thanks for that. Now I just have to hope and pray for the day I need it! I'm so jealous of your problem; I only have 16 chapters of my first novel.
    Really though, thanks, I dearly hope I will one day need this advice

It does sound like a bit of an overreaction from the recipient though imo.

Arachne

Yep... you can't please everyone. I'm sure there are folks who will complain if I send out too many emails and this one is complaining b/c there are not enuf emails. Ugh.

Wow... 16 chapters sounds like alot! I'm glad I write nonfiction b/c my books are usually around 150 pages and much shorter than most novels. Good luck with your first book!
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Oh, yes. My email list was about 800 strong, not large, not small. I sent out a promotional newsletter about my just recently released SF novel. I got slaughtered by about 30 people who found my submission to them rude and selfish. I was taken aback and felt very depressed for months about it. I actually personalized apology letters to each and every one of them very early on, and even got hell and brimstone for that too by some. Ugh. I have 3,600 FB fans/friend and what's miraculous is that I darn well know every one of them, and this has been going on for more than a decade. Yet I dread, really dread sending any of them review requests or announcements about any of my newest releases, including price drops, re-prints, free books and other offers.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content