Writing About The Future

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Writing About The Future

Writing About The Future

I have some ideas for writing a story that takes place 10,000 years into the future in which everything is peaceful. I have decided that in this future most people will now live in space in space stations. My MC will be a young girl who is about 12 years old and lives in space with her parents who are inventors and energetic 9 year old younger brother. My MC's parents want her to grow up to be an inventor like them, but since she's young she doesn't have much interest in that yet. Unfortunately that's all I can think of for this story. I'm not entirely sure what the technology will be like though I really like the idea of something similar to the iPad today, but more advanced, that people carry around with them. I'm also thinking that the MC has a best friend who is a girly girl and into the latest fashion though I'm not entirely sure what the fashion will be like though I have done some drawing of what the fashion might look like in my story. I suppose I'm off to a good start, but still I feel as though I could use more in my story. I really like the idea of a Utopian version of the future and really dislike the popular idea of a dystopian version of the future.

What future
    The only one who can heal you is you.

10,000 is a very long stretch. Probably too long to accurately guess at what the technology will look like.

Based on what I see now though, and some of the things I've heard proposed, humans likely won't be doing much of the inventing, instead letting A.I. and robots handle those chores. And any hand-held device will probably be right out, with preference going to implanted devices.

Sorry if that's not helpful, but it's honestly what I suspect will happen at very minimum.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    What future
    The one that won't have any use for either of us, most likely.

G.D.

Y'know, there is nothing that says there could not have been some setbacks along the way.
    So even tho it is 10k years later, they had a few restarts so they may not be as advanced as all that.

But if you really wanna go with 10k years of tech advancement, then you will need to think way outside of the box. Nannites in your bloodstream would provide internet, connectivity, entertainment, communication, medical assistance. Also, nannites could adjust your metabolism, make you fat, skinny, muscular, smarter, better hearing, better eyes, better math processors. Just look at everything in your life and imagine that all being built into you.

example:
    notepad to remember stuff-built in
    internet-built in
    animated tattoos
    ability to survive under harsh environments
    drugs-built in
    jukebox-in your head

Essentially everything but toilet paper would be built in. nannites would likely even allow you to make bland food tasty/palatable or inedible foods edible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Y'know, there is nothing that says there could not have been some setbacks along the way.
    So even tho it is 10k years later, they had a few restarts so they may not be as advanced as all that.

But if you really wanna go with 10k years of tech advancement, then you will need to think way outside of the box. Nannites in your bloodstream would provide internet, connectivity, entertainment, communication, medical assistance. Also, nannites could adjust your metabolism, make you fat, skinny, muscular, smarter, better hearing, better eyes, better math processors. Just look at everything in your life and imagine that all being built into you.

example:
    notepad to remember stuff-built in
    internet-built in
    animated tattoos
    ability to survive under harsh environments
    drugs-built in
    jukebox-in your head

Essentially everything but toilet paper would be built in. nannites would likely even allow you to make bland food tasty/palatable or inedible foods edible.
    You left out the possibility of robotic avatars that allow a person to live virtually through them, out in the real world... like that silly Bruce Willis movie that I can't recall the name of.

Edit: Found it. Surrogates (2009)

G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    The one that won't have any use for either of us, most likely.

G.D.
    I live it... it's ok
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    You left out the possibility of robotic avatars that allow a person to live virtually through them, out in the real world... like that silly Bruce Willis movie that I can't recall the name of.

Edit: Found it. Surrogates (2009)

G.D.

No I didn't.
    Surrogates would be antique technology in 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    No I didn't.
    Surrogates would be antique technology in 10k.
    Probably... Maybe...

I would've thought texting was a step backwards too, but look how popular that's turned out to be.

Could be that having your very own avatar that's like the silver liquid terminator turns out to be the latest rage.

G.D.

I guess I'll have to think more about the technology for my story. I kind of like the idea of living in a virtual world through an avatar. Perhaps the peaceful utopia in the future is actually a virtual world.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast