"First Light" Winner's Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "First Light" Winner's Thread

"First Light" Winner's Thread

Despite another close race to the finish line, a single poet has emerged victorious. Kindly unhand the leftover turkey, and join us in the monthly palm slam to celebrate Darkkin, for her brilliant winning entry, The Dame Light.

In addition to receiving this month's Laureate, as well as a free one month FoWF subscription, Darkkin has the distinct honor of selecting the road we travel in December.

My dear girl, please accept my sincere apologies for the delaying the commencement of congratulatory wishes that have been well-earned and are duly yours. Please allow me to be the first in a long line...kudos! Very tight piece, darlin', please keep doing you.

A breathtaking poem that showcased your gift for outstanding imagery and beautiful poetic language! Congratulations, DarKKin
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Real life comes first, CD. Words once written do not disappear, and hence are patient. Hope you feel better soon, that is what truly matters. I took a swing at a new form, the rondeau, (thank you, Pel for bring the form to my attention...) and was pleasantly surprised by the result. Still shellshocked about the outcome of the voting. A pretty bit yes, but Dame was up against some truly wonderful work.

Kudos to all who participated and took the time to vote. Appreciate the reads. Happy to see you back on the boards, Fire!

All the best.

- D.
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 27th, 2018 at 02:23 AM.

You're welcome and a deserved win. Not often I vote for the 1st and 2nd place poems
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

well done Darkkin - long overdue....

That first tyrian twilight, when the snow whispers and modernity falls away...The moment that makes a journey into the bitter dark worth the effort. It is so finite, so perfect and it is one of my favourite blinks in time. Each year, I seek it out, but I do not always find the Dame's Light. But still, as long as I am able, I will continue to look. And how often is one able to use tyrian?

Thanks for reading.

Congratulations, Darkkin! Well done, you!
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Nice one Darkkin, congrats - I enjoy good structured rhyming pieces with vivid imagery such as this - I’ll gladly settle for a three-way tie for second to your elegant poem : )

Beautifully written, Darkkin.
    Two poems stood out for me, and one of them was yours.
    An enjoyable read.

You got my vote too, D. A neat story wrapped in your delicious imagery was always going to be a winner. Well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast