I'm looking for something that's rather difficult for me to define...

Thread: I'm looking for something that's rather difficult for me to define...

I'm looking for something that's rather difficult for me to define...

...and that's somebody who knows what they're doing to look over what I've written so far, and give me their general opinion.

And by that I mean, what tracks well, what doesn't, where the story drags too much, where it runs by too quickly... That sort of thing.

I don't need a detailed critique, though if that's what ya wanna do that's fine... I'm just looking for, as I said, a general opinion.

Here's the problem: It's freakin' huge. Even though it's no where near done, it's at 29 chapters and over 170,000 words right this second. ( And gets larger every day. )

And although it is broken up into chapters, I haven't gone through and set up the scene breaks the way I want 'em. ( That's for a later editing session. )

So... anybody in the mood to wade into a 494 KB DOCX file? Or crazy enough?

Edit: I forgot to say, it's sci-fi fantasy, with adult language and themes.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Is this a rough draft or polished a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Is this a rough draft or polished a little?
    To me it seems polished at least some... It's not a struggle to get through because I basically started off setting it up like a novel I'd read. And I'm very sensitive to the patterns of a text, if that makes any sense.

It's not formatted to any standard though... You could print the whole thing out on 200 or so standard pieces of printer paper.

So, to you, it might look like a nightmare... Total garbage.

As for the story its self... It still needs a lot of editing, and probably always will. at least to me. But it's at least "cleaner" than it was a month ago.

Does that answer your question? If not, I can try again.

Edit: One other warning... This is very much a trip through parts of my own head... How I think, how I look at things, etc.
    Probably not for the faint of heart.

G.D.

P.S. The "rough draft" is in my head, and at least 10 years old.

By the way, Ralph, I had a though, concerning e-books...

Is there a way, that you know of, that a person could write a foreign language, or even something made up, and have the reader be able to highlight it, and have it show as translated into english or what ever?

G.D.

Dunno about translations, but you can have hot-links in your text. I was reading a book the other day (writer's guide I think) that had some text you could use to access additional data.

But an ebook is really just a web page underneath all the flash, so most of the things you can do with a web page can prolly be done with a book. Since Google already provides a translation page for dozens of languages, you could prolly code your xhtml so your hot links were translated by Google, or just linked to a translation page within the book (and presumably a link to return you to the page you were reading.)

I ask about the condition of the book because I shy away from reading roughs. Rough drafts tend to need enough work that it distracts from the reading process (and can actually make the whole process painful.)
    I'd be willing to look it over, but only if it is at least Alpha ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I ask about the condition of the book because I shy away from reading roughs. Rough drafts tend to need enough work that it distracts from the reading process (and can actually make the whole process painful.)
    I'd be willing to look it over, but only if it is at least Alpha ready.
    Man, i don't know what "Alpha Ready" is, but I can tell you that I've sat here multiple times and read through it, looking for typos and such, and it was no harder than reading any other book, for me.

Then again, I wrote it, so my brain may just be filling in the blanks and convincing me something's there that isn't... Which is another reason for wanting to get another set of eyes on it.

Anyway, if you do wanna look, tell me how you want it and where, and I'll send it.

Also, I should mention there's no hurry on this... Anybody that does think they want to look can take their time. It's not like I've got any kind of deadline to worry about.

And I'll keep right on rolling along, one way or the other.

Thanks.

G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    Man, i don't know what "Alpha Ready" is.
    An Alpha Reader is a bit like a friendlier version of a Beta Reader. An Alpha will overlook certain flaws and give guidance on structure and flow. That said, they are not an editor and as such the MSS needs to be pretty close to finished before they look at it.

Once you've implemented any suggested changes and are pretty much ready to go, then it gets passed out to Beta Readers.
    Hidden Content - a saga of sacrilege, penance, duplicity, demonic possession and a man's reliance on a bicycle.