Getting yourself noticed. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting yourself noticed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Although giving away free books is a proven way of spreading the buzz, you may be putting the cart before the horse.
    A lot of writers rush to publish. They pound out their first book (which is usually crap) and they throw it up on Amazon with the other 70,000 books published that month.
    Then they're surprised when it fails to sell.
    Good point, I do tend to be a 'Rushing Randy' when it comes to, well, everything in general. A bit of patience and perseverance would do me good. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Write well.
    Market hard.
    Network constantly.
    Keep your nose to the grindstone and your shoulder to the wheel.
    Indeed, that's probably the best course of action I should take. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielleC View Post
    You may wish to avoid "bublishing" all together.
    Very true, as that sounds like some kind of skin disease. Thanks for pointing that out…

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielleC View Post
    Also, if you value your work, why would you give it away for free? And assuming you give away enough books for free, what's the motivation to buy your stuff once you've put a price tag on it? I could just move on to the next person offering their work for free. And the amount of free content out there far outweighs the people who are selling their work.
    That's a good point, if my work is good enough then people will fork out a couple of bucks to read it. Plus, if I’m making short stories to just throw out into the either then I won’t give it my best effort.

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Last edited by Reynard; November 26th, 2018 at 05:23 PM.
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Also, remember that the first 200,000 words are just practice.
    I've been tracking my overall word count for my works, because I'm weird like that, and oddly enough I just passed that number not too long ago. I know that doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things but I have definitely noticed a change in my work over that time, and I believe it's getting better. My POV and World-building is coherent at the very least now.
    Last edited by Reynard; November 26th, 2018 at 06:41 PM.
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

Great, next learn editing. I've been studying how to self edit and my writing improved a LOT just having ideas about pacing and such in my head now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dluuni View Post
    Great, next learn editing. I've been studying how to self edit and my writing improved a LOT just having ideas about pacing and such in my head now.
    Indeed, that is the hardest part. I’ve had to change my methods a bit over the past, as I was editing during the initial draft process, it both slowed me down and got me off track too much. Now, I'm trying to focus on getting a draft done and then going back to edit and revise, which is admittedly much more fun.

Okay, nice to read this thread but just how do you get yourself noticed for you 1st book? I have a twitter: #vampiresareonlyhuman @sundownersbook I've had it since early November. I follow 21 and have 19 followers.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

I got noticed by flooding social media about my book. I shamelessly self-promoted on FB, twitter, and dozens of discussion forums (content appropriate forums.)

Shameless self promotion is the key.

I got (barely) noticed by subbing and schmoozing. Publishing other writers probably didn't hurt. Creating a cult of personality is self-promotion, too.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Creating a cult of personality is self-promotion, too.
    It helped get L. Ron Hubbard Published...

Hubbard was already publishing, in Astounding mainly, and not selling all that well, when he came up with the notion of Dianetics and pitched it past Campbell.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Getting noticed is not for the meek, not in THIS market.
    With more than 70,000 books being published a month, you have got to work hard to stand out.

Start by upping your twitter following.
    Join a few writing and book groups on FB
    Join online forums that relate to the topic of your book (or find places where your kind of readers hang out.)

...and above all, write a good book. Don't publish it because someone told you it was good, publish it when someone gushes and tells you it was really good. And if they never show enthusiasm for that book, then put it away and write a new book.

Also, don't view other writers as the enemy. Help out fellow writers by retweeting their pinned content, or posting reviews for their books...
    We live on a spherical planet, so what goes around will eventually come around. I got many of my early reviews from other writers who I had reviewed or retweeted or helped out somehow. Once I had a few good reviews, the Amazon algorithm floated me high enough to be visible (in the top 10 pages) and people bought my books.
    Karma is for-real in this business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast