Making interesting villains - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making interesting villains

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBraysy View Post
    Thoughts on this? Have you ever struggled with making villains that feel real?
    I got better at writing "villains" once I stopped thinking of them as such.

Instead, I think of them as characters with their own motivations—they simply happen to be in conflict with the protagonist. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong or "bad"—just an opposing force.

The antagonists in my piece aren't really villains, per se, so much as they are, well... politicians. *shrug*

...or at least that's what I modeled them on.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    The antagonists in my piece aren't really villains, per se, so much as they are, well... politicians. *shrug*

...or at least that's what I modeled them on.

G.D.
    I don't understand, can you explain the difference?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I don't understand, can you explain the difference?
    Not in any meaningful way, no.

I can tell you that when they start learning how to possess people... take over their bodies for their own purposes, that they choose those in Washington D.C. to start with, because they figure no one will notice any significant difference in their behavior.

G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R View Post
    I got better at writing "villains" once I stopped thinking of them as such.

Instead, I think of them as characters with their own motivations—they simply happen to be in conflict with the protagonist. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong or "bad"—just an opposing force.
    The sweet little old lady next door, who just happens to be physic, her tea leaves this morning told her that you are a bad person. You have not done anything bad yet, but you are going to, they will be terrible, and innocent people will die because of you. She has decided that she has lived her life and has to do something, she is willing to sacrifice her life to eliminate you. She invites you over for tea and cookies.

Often one man's villain is another man's hero.

There is no such thing as a bad guy, just ask one. I have found that someone who does anything wrong can always justify why it is right. I have yet to meet a man or woman who said, "I am a piece of shit, what I did was wrong."

There is always a reason, always a justification for poor behavior.

Sure the tea tastes a little like almonds, but she is such a sweet little old lady.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    ...Sure the tea tastes a little like almonds, but she is such a sweet little old lady.

Arsenic and an old face?

G.D.

* I should add that I'm aware that it's cyanide that smells/tastes like almonds, and arsenic, when heated, like garlic. However, I didn't wanna ruin the rather twisted reference by being 100% accurate.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 28th, 2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    The sweet little old lady next door, who just happens to be physic, her tea leaves this morning told her that you are a bad person. You have not done anything bad yet, but you are going to, they will be terrible, and innocent people will die because of you. She has decided that she has lived her life and has to do something, she is willing to sacrifice her life to eliminate you. She invites you over for tea and cookies.

Often one man's villain is another man's hero.

There is no such thing as a bad guy, just ask one. I have found that someone who does anything wrong can always justify why it is right. I have yet to meet a man or woman who said, "I am a piece of shit, what I did was wrong."

There is always a reason, always a justification for poor behavior.

Sure the tea tastes a little like almonds, but she is such a sweet little old lady.
    This is so true, right down to the shop lifter who tells you 'The shop's profits are too high', or the person in the speeding car who 'Was in a hurry' or thinks 'Speed limits are for bad drivers' and right up to the government leader who told us 'Abolishing slavery would impoverish the slave owners, or 'Getting rid of homosexuals and gypsies will improve the human race'.
    I always remember the young man who said "All the worst things people did to me as a kid, they told me it was for my own good'.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I've heard some whoppers. Leroy Despain used to complain about how cops violated his rights searching his car without PC.
    "Mister Despain, you had a dead woman in your trunk."
    "So, it wasn't right the way they did it!"

Actual conversation. He died of old age on death row in Florence.
    He was also a model prisoner.

It's the same as creating any interesting character, there's a solid belief behind them...

There's also a difference between an antagonist and a villain...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast