A thread for drivers.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A thread for drivers.

A thread for drivers.

I have been fascinated by the idea that writing can have an effect on the outside world, and always felt that writing about driving might be a good way of doing it. There are an awful lot of people killed as a consequence of RTA's, it depends a bit who you take your statistics from, I suppose they vary in their assessment of cause of death, but from around 1,500 to a bit less than 3,000 people every year. Serious injury is even more difficult to asses, with so many different police forces there are different criteria for 'serious' for a start, and then they change definitions, but recon about ten times the number of deaths.

Numbers of deaths are dropping, but it is really hard to tell why; cars are built better, test standards are higher, medical intervention is more effective, and I suppose that it is just possible that people's driving is improving, but maybe not. Writing something readable or memorable about road safety is obviously not easy, who read The Highway code, or Roadcraft recently? I have, but I know that is exceptional, most don't ever look at the highway code again after passing a test. I think the last bit of memorable safety advice was 'Clunk, click, every trip' when seat belts came in.

So here is a thread for drivers, to discuss their experiences of driving, writing about driving and all aspects of it, there is far more than the safety aspect, I love doing it.

An irrelevant one to start you off, lots of people can't remember their number plate, but almost everyone remembers the first one of their parent's they were able to read, MHX 242, there were not nearly so many cars then.

Edit, those statistics are for Great Britain, that is another problem, we have four nations , Great Britain, and the united Kingdom. I have no idea how things are in America, or anywhere else.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    ...cars are built better, test standards are higher, medical intervention is more effective, and I suppose that it is just possible that people's driving is improving, but maybe not.
    IMHO, people today are more distracted and "out of touch' than in any other point in human history. Vehicle fatalities are down despite the fact that drivers pay no attention.
    When I commuted in Seattle, WA. on my motorcycle, the traffic would crawl and I would watch the drivers around me. Oh, my God. Every head was at a 45 degree downward slope. Looking at their phones.
    Putting the distractions in the dashboard doesn't help. Drivers today just don't pay attention. But then again, neither do pedestrians or bicyclists.
    The world outside our 3" LCD screens is both wondrous and dangerous. Make room for it. Or not, at your peril.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

I was hooted at the other day for giving way to a bus, who does he think he is that it is more important for him to be somewhere three seconds earlier than the forty or fifty people on a rush hour bus? Actually you usually lose nothing by giving way to a bus, they only go a little way before they pull in to the next stop, and if you let them out at the previous stop they usually pull in tight to let you past. Strangely the opposite happens if you tried to cut them up

Got hooted at when I pulled out in front of someone the other night, she was most apologetic when I pointed out she had forgotten to put her lights on, I didn't mention not using the horn after dark in a built up area
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Britain's road deaths are very low compared to others, including America, where one would think, that with all that space they would be able to miss each other. There is a myth about speed kills, in Northumberland, where they have no speed cameras, the death rate is below the national average and statistics show that absolute speed is only a factor in about 9% of accidents - By far the largest cause is turning right across a stream of traffic and, IIRC, emerging from side-streets/failing to apply the brakes in time and running into the back of the vehicle(s) in front. China's death rate is appaling and, in India, every new car is, statistically, going to be involved in a fatal accident within 5 years.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

There's so many things I can't say as they can and will be used against me in a court of law.
    Winny, until you take away the monotonous sights of my commute's stop/start/stop/start I may be forced to multitask. And aren't I supposed to be looking just at the road, not at the world?
    Is it okay for me to watch the woman in front of me apply her make up? I think not. Mother wouldn't approve...
    That sexy curve, on the other hand, would've been fun except for all the damn cars in front of me.
    Turn up the music? Turn off the music? Talk radio? Yell at the top of my lungs, hyperventilate? How exactly does one NOT fall asleep knowing YOU WILL NEVER GET THESE MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE BACK AGAIN?

There, now I've incriminated myself. Thank you.

Take a ride with me on a legendary race track in my car
    Why walk when you can run? 563 words A story inspired by Olly
    Why does being bad, feel so good? mild language 488 words

None of these stories are about safety, they are about the joy of driving fast, enjoying the road and the horsepower of what your driving. As motorcyclist, hooligan driver of sports cars, I see the real danger as cell phones and distracted drivers being the main cause of accidents. Do away with seatbelts, airbags, speed limits and the false sense of security that surrounds you in your car and maybe more would pay attention.

I personally love the fact that driving, is dangerous. What you do matters, your judgement the choices you make may not only effect your life. but someone else. I have no desire to make it any less so.

My favorite bumper sticker "Hang up and Drive."
    Last edited by Plasticweld; November 12th, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    I personally love the fact that drive, is dangerous. What you do matters, your judgement the choices you make may not only effect your life. but someone else. I have no desire to make it any less so.
    Some folks are very uncomfortable actually being in control of their lives. In a car, or elsewhere.
    Others find freedom exhilarating. They seek opportunity, and will fight for their right to do what others deem "dangerous".
    Just an observation. From the safety of my office chair.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    Take a ride with me on a legendary race track in my car
    Why walk when you can run? 563 words A story inspired by Olly
    Why does being bad, feel so good? mild language 488 words

None of these stories are about safety, they are about the joy of driving fast, enjoying the road and the horsepower of what your driving. As motorcyclist, hooligan driver of sports cars, I see the real danger as cell phones and distracted drivers being the main cause of accidents. Do away with seatbelts, airbags, speed limits and the false sense of security that surrounds you in your car and maybe more would pay attention.

I personally love the fact that drive, is dangerous. What you do matters, your judgement the choices you make may not only effect your life. but someone else. I have no desire to make it any less so.

My favorite bumper sticker "Hang up and Drive."
    I have seen it suggested that seat belts should be abolished and replaced by a ten inch, sharpened, chrome steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel, that would induce a little caution

My favourite for a bumper sticker, 'Don't make yourself the meat in the sandwich'. Most comments along those lines say things like 'get out of my boot', he doesn't care about you or he wouldn't be there in the first place, but remind him he can get hurt and his car wrecked and it might have some effect.
    A new story

Hidden Content

As motorcyclist, hooligan driver of sports cars, I see the real danger as cell phones and distracted drivers being the main cause of accidents.
    I was thinking about this, two things, mostly as a motorcyclist you are the one who suffers, I have hit a pedestrian quite hard, and we both got bruises, but that was all. The other thing is that the road is open to everyone, that pedestrian was a German woman who looked the wrong way up a one way bit of road and stepped straight off the island, out in front of me, they drive on the other side from us. You simply never know, it is a good rule to never drive so fast that you can not stop in the distance you can see is clear to stop in. What if some little toe rag has decided to run away from home on his skateboard? You might expect relief, but even when it is entirely their fault people get very uptight if you kill their children

In terms of actual experiences I have come round corners on country lanes and found a dip in the road still filled with frozen slush from the night before when everything else was long melted, a horse with his eyes rolling coming sideways on down the middle of the road with the man on his back trying hard to control him, and a fallen tree completely blocking the road (not all three at once you understand). I bet there are a few things people can add to that little list.
    A new story

Hidden Content

I've only been driving for a year or so, and I love it. Driving my car is brilliant. I really hate other drivers though.

Motorcyclists aren't much better.

Actually, cyclists as well.

Pedestrians are pretty awful.

They make driving a really bad time.
    ​[REDACTED]

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast