Helllloooooooo!!!

Helllloooooooo!!!

Hello, fabulous Poets and Pippers... I am so sorry for not opening the Pip challenge, I am moving to a new place and the Internet has not yet been installed... I deeply regret my absence, and I hope you will be patient with me... love you all bunches
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Would you like some help this month? On, to be clear;

I don't install microwave ovens
    Custom kitchen deliveries
    I don't move these refrigerators
    I don't move these color TV's
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Sometimes you don’t miss it til it’s gone.
    Looking forward to the return.

Let's not waste this month completely ... please feel free to post any suggestions about the Pip challenge for 2019... do we continue? If so, any new ideas, thoughts or feedback will be appreciated... we are here to learn, improve our awesome skills, nurture our poetry passion and have fun... so lets get mooovin and groooovin! I miss you all, and when I return, be ready to kick asssss

SMOOOCHES and HUGGGS from meee to you!
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

I been thinking about recruitment and advertising
    Poetry in general but specifically Poetry Hill and the
    PiP Challenge. Perhaps bi-monthly, or rotating banner
    at the top of the main forum board( where Flashes)
    used to be, highlighting all the current challenges.
    Also thinking about getting business cards made for
    the forum. Passing them out may encourage new
    members.
    Last edited by TuesdayEve; November 9th, 2018 at 10:12 PM.

Yes, we absolutely continue. Maybe consider a change to the voting. Not that we eliminate the vote but what if the comments about the version were broken down into a Technical part. This would be about the form, meter, and structure of the poem based on that months selected style. We'd be better able to follow the improvements the author makes. We can have a Aesthetic part This would be about the poem and it's words, descriptions, allusions, imagery, etc.

What if the winner was allowed to select the next month's style? Since the purpose is to learn and improve, we need to have some sort of style requirement each month. Maybe simple like Acrostic or complicated by combining two styles.

Hence my suggestion for this month. A Rondeau with acrostic.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

We've already done a format with a point based judging ruberic. It was preceived as being 'too judgie...' and trying to find judges each month proved to be too much of a challenge because there were a finite number of members willing and qualified to provide that level of critique. Asking all participants to provide that level of effort...Never going to happen. Also Pel, have you actually taken a look at what a rondeau is...Feasibly combining that with an acrostic, considering the technical demands of a rondeau borders on implausible. A case of too many irons in the fire.

This is what a rondeau looks like.

And you want to add an acrostic to that...Poets in the past have had near meltdowns at a form as simple as the villanelle or its hybrid cousin, the terzanelle...

Sorry to be the rain on the parade, but I'm talking from past experience from both sides of the table, both as a judge and a participant. Consistent rhyme schemes are a tough skill for many poets because it is so easy to drop a pattern. (I did it on a piece of mine today and it was only a simple tercet birhyme.) Look at the boards and in the poets who use rhyme, inconsistent scheme is one of the most common comments made.

Doing a rondeau for a PiP, that would work, but fusion forms without knowledge of even the base form is trying to fly before one has even attempted to walk. Keep realistic expectation in mind.

@firemajic

Hope your move goes well. All the best.

- D.
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 10th, 2018 at 07:13 AM.

Darkkin;
    I wasn't looking for a scoring in those sections, just breaking the comments up into those sections. Any judging would still be relegated to the voting on a poem. As for experiencing meltdowns about the rules of poetry...I might have a slight tad of a direct experience with that. With my untrained mind spelling a word with the first letters of a line would seem not an overly difficult task, but you've far more knowledge and experience so I'll defer to your wisdom.
    Last edited by Pelwrath; November 10th, 2018 at 04:47 PM.

​Virgil

​ Mark Twain

You have to have a message of five letters, four letters, six letters and the first letter of the first, fourth, and sixth lines all have to be the same as L1 S1 becomes the refrain line for S2 L4 and S3 L6. That is the baseline technical format of your suggestion.

Write a rondeau to get a feel for the format and keep technical aspects of form poetry in mind. Language in the hands of writers can do amazing things, but too many elements can strain the functionality of a piece until it breaks. My mum's favourite adage, 'Start with less, you can always add more...'

Or in the inimitable style of Coco Chanel, 'For every item you don, take one item off.'

The form is not that different from that of a villanelle, both are between 15 and 19 lines with a double rhyme scheme and migrating refrain line. Both stem from the roots of the French folk rounds. Working within technical forms is excellent training for any writer, just like with the basics of learning an instrument and learning to read music, it is a useful skill that transposes itself across all types of poetry and hones awareness of how lines function within a stanza and stanzas within the whole. It also teaches consistency. It does not, however, make one a hit at parties...
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 11th, 2018 at 06:00 AM.

One minor change / improvement would be to (if the forum software allows for it) to vote in three categories: favorite entry, most improved, best exemplifies the theme / challenge. Then a winner would be based on the combined standing.
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.