Praxis and Dictum

Praxis and Dictum

Praxis and Dictum

Thy purpose vexes me.
    Silky words like heavenís angel,
    soul snaring contract like devilís daughter.

Shape-shifting monstrosity,
    vampiric lust, never sated.
    Symbiosisís illusion
    The parasiteís weapon.

People!
    Never let anything
    Drain ideas
    From your
    Head.

Fences good neighbors might make
    Or pens for food,
    blatting until slaughtered.

Wilbur and Orville
    To you gave a finger
    Bonnie and Clyde
    With you never lingered.

Due to you, Founding Fathers,
    forged freedoms ring
    and deposed a king.

Speak your mind,
    Explore life with your soul.
    Beware the doppelganger
    Who seeks to mute your voice!

It creeps so simply
    Starting with large
    balanced with small

An army marches
    on its feet.
    Hypnotic cadence
    the sirens enchanting melody.

You rape our honor
    Pillage our choices
    And burn our freedom
    On conformityís altar.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

hello Pel - this is quite an ambitious work...

that descends too often into abstraction - (vague generic terms that don't nail your meaning)
    or references that don't chime with me.

the verses, and sometimes the lines, come across as separate statements until the reader is dizzy with disparate concepts
    without anything grounded to hang on to.

if you've got something to say Pel - reduce it to its essence....in a shorter form.

have to say, I love - beware the doppelganger - whatever that means...........................Ned
    Last edited by ned; November 11th, 2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: dilute/reduce

Ned;

Thanks very much for your time in reading and commenting. This poem started last month. My rough time started then. I was listening to some Kerouac and Ginsburg on line. In essence it's about rules. expectations and conformity. I don't know if I want to make it simpler, I'll fiddle with that for a bit. I will look at making the meaning be more than the title and last line. Again, thanks very much for your suggestions.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

I love the message that runs through this poem. 'Be brave and true to yourself' is such an obvious truth and yet so difficult to accomplish when conformity is valued and encouraged and provides a much easier road to tread. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Hidden Content where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

Hidden Content