Ever have one of those days where the story just won't get it's ass in gear...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.

Ever have one of those days where the story just won't get it's ass in gear...

...and get moving?

At the moment, J.D. and his clan are exploring a cavern beneath his house that just shouldn't be there. It's way too big, way too deep and basically defies everything that's known about the Earth's crust and general construction. ( It's got an ocean, and jungles, and almost qualifies for Tarzan's Pellucidar. Except it's manufactured. )

The reason it's there is because it's a scientific outpost from the days of the Eldarrans seeding the human race here. It's also the means for J.D. and company to not only communicate with the Three Sisters, but pay them a quick visit as well. So it's a fairly important thing/place.

I had originally planned on them spending quite a while down there, looking things over, goofing off with the "natives" ( Sentient Androids ), etc.

But it rapidly became obvious that anything of the like would turn into an entire book by it's self.

So I've been trying to "hurry them up" and get 'em back "upstairs"... After all, it's not like they don't have plenty to do up there.

...but they ain't goin'.

They've decided they need to find an environmental control center, and determine if this place is natural but modified, or entirely constructed.

Now, they've found the control center, but I've gotta get 'em to leave it alone and worry about it later.

Which means I've gotta come up with either a carrot or a stick to move 'em along... or be prepared to spend at least a whole 'nother chapter letting them satisfy their curiosity.

Anybody else have days like that? Where the characters start having other ideas about how the story is gonna go?

And if so, did you just go with it, or force it back in the direction you had in mind to begin with?
    ( And yes, I realize what's going on with it is actually closer to my first thoughts on the place... but that idea was abandoned a long time ago. )

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 7th, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

What if you told them they could go there for the next book? Marketing likes sequels. Or cut that entire scene for now. Replace it with a light teaser at most, give them the MacGuffin, and walk them right out of the room without going into any detail about what is there. It sounds as though that area might be very interesting, and very worth an entire book, but a complete distraction to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dluuni View Post
    What if you told them they could go there for the next book? Marketing likes sequels. Or cut that entire scene for now. Replace it with a light teaser at most, give them the MacGuffin, and walk them right out of the room without going into any detail about what is there. It sounds as though that area might be very interesting, and very worth an entire book, but a complete distraction to this one.
    Can't cut it because it is needed, and certain things that have to happen there already have.

There're also a couple of other things down there that play a major part in the story. ( A facility to build androids, for one, and a bio lab that is eventually used to discover ways of modifying not only "organics" but "synthetics" as well.

Like I said, this is a pretty important place. I've just gotta come up with a logical reason to get 'em to leave it for now, and let Evie and her ship do some remote exploration.

I'm considering having Gia come down and throw a hissy-fit, and tell 'em all that they aren't on vacation and have work to do... But that's gonna cause her sister, Lilith, to point out that since they have made themselves forget a good portion of their "grand plan", that for all Gia knows, this is exactly what they need to be doing.

That might make for an interesting scene of "Domestic Non-Bliss" between the deities, but also will likely cause one or more of the other characters to get up in Gia's face and say something like "Listen, bitch, you want us to do this shit, and we're doing it, but you don't get to tell us how to go about it."

Don't get me wrong... I do have a lot of ways to get 'em moving... And I already know they'll end up where they need to.

... I'm just trying to figure out what's actually the best way to do it more quickly than it's currently going, if possible.

And it just may not be possible.

And no, I'm not really too worried about the length of the story... It already promises to make LOTR and GOT look like short stories. ( I'm likely to still be writing on this one when I'm a hundred. )

Oh, and I don't know if you've seen this or not, but here's a general overview of what I'm working on: *points*

Also, you're probably not aware of the fact I've been working on this story for a very long time... and never really had any intention or writing it down until fairly recently. So it's not like I'm really stuck, or don't know what needs to happen next.

I just want to get to the next point a little more quickly than it's currently going, if that makes any sense.

In other words, I'm just grumpin' about the process.

Edit: And there's this bit too, that will help fill in a few more blanks.

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 6th, 2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Update:

I've decided to write this out and just let it run where it wants to go, with the hopes it'll either prove more useful than I think it'll be, or can be pruned back if needed, with the "prunings" being used later on down the road.

So far it's been good character development, but not much else.

But at least I finally got 'em in the damned control room, so maybe they'll decide to get out'a there before too much longer.

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Well, it's taken another 10,000 words, but I've finally got these people loaded up and ready to head back up the tunnel.

Lots of character development, picked up another couple of folks I had all but forgotten about, and discovered and fleshed-out one or two more useful locations.

So I guess it wasn't any sort of loss.

Oh, and my current word count for this story stands at 123,013 words.

...and no, I'm not anywhere near the end yet.

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

( I'm likely to still be writing on this one when I'm a hundred. )

Didn't you say you were writing at a rapid pace now?

Yeah, I guess 10,000 words plus editing in 2 nights is pretty slow...

Also keep in mind that a story can continue on long after the creator and original author has "given up the ghost"... If it's constructed properly.

G.D.

P.S. By the way, Annoying Kid... Is this stuff your work?
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 8th, 2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post

P.S. By the way, Annoying Kid... Is this stuff your work?
    I made that yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying kid View Post
    I made that yeah.
    I see. Thanks for the info.

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Do some of you believe in writing a character-based story? The cave that is under a house, that is imaginative. Start asking yourself what the characters' personality is like if you do this? For example, some advice I read is you can always list the advantages and disadvantages of a character weakness or strength. Assuming you find the answer to this question this could help determine some of the stories that you are writing. Determining the kind of characters that inhabit your story is a way to help determine the plot. Some say plot determines the character's personality. Either way, it is a good question even if you have the backstory of the characters written and are this sort of writer. Some writers go very far with writing backstory and biographies first to write their 1st draft of their stories. It is just some advice I read. The thread's title is a question that is open to interpretation.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast