Ever have one of those days where the story just won't get it's ass in gear... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You are right, the number of pieces, or volumes, or books your story gets broken up into doesn't matter at all. All that matters is telling a good story well. At this point in your career I'd suggest focusing on the quality of writing more so than the quantity. It really doesn't matter if you pound out 10,000 word every day, or just a few hundred, if they are the right words. I believe you said this is your first book. If that is the case then you should be focusing on learning your craft rather than researching the longest SF series, or whatever. If your story has gotten 'out-of-control' it is probably because you haven't yet learned how to control it.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    *sigh* Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    You are right, the number of pieces, or volumes, or books your story gets broken up into doesn't matter at all. All that matters is telling a good story well.
    Thanks for sayin'. *tips hat*

It's appreciated.

At this point in your career I'd suggest focusing on the quality of writing more so than the quantity. It really doesn't matter if you pound out 10,000 word every day, or just a few hundred, if they are the right words.
    That has been my goal all along, just putting the right/correct words down on the "electronic paper" I'm using.

I type out what needs to be said, and what, to the best of my knowledge, needs to be described.

I don't worry or concentrate on how many words I'm typing... I don't keep track of the word count except for the purpose of deciding when I really should wrap up a chapter, or at least start thinking in that direction.

I never set down and think "I'm gonna whip out at least xxxxx words this go-'round". It just doesn't happen.

What does happen though, is that I usually look at how much I've done when I feel like I've said what I've intended and am ready to stop for a while, and think "Holy crap... It took that many???"

If anything, I'm concerned that maybe I'm using too many words to say what needs saying.

But then again, who determines what's just right... and how?

I believe you said this is your first book. If that is the case then you should be focusing on learning your craft rather than researching the longest SF series, or whatever.
    Okay, now that's just insultin' and rubs my fur up backwards.

That little bit of research took about as long as typing "Longest Sci-fy fantasy series" into Google, then clickin' a couple of links, and quickly scanning the text over and seeing titles I knew.

I've spent far longer lookin' up character names, info on various cultures for said characters, etc.

Many hours in fact, of that, and taking notes. Over the course of many YEARS.

So don't give me any grief about "learning my craft". That's precisely why I'm here, talking to people, listening, and LEARNING... even though it pulls me away from actually writing.
    ( Which is VERY necessary for me. It's how I learn best.)

(I also tend to research and explore ideas presented here, to see if there's any merit to them, use to me, or if they're just the product of someone wanting to sound smarter than they are and talking out'a their ass. )

I don't NEED the usual help people do with ideas, plots, story lines, etc. I've already got that stuff and have had it worked out for years.

I just need to learn how to write/describe it better, and not leave those "newbie tracks", as Moderan calls 'em, all over what I'm doing.

If your story has gotten 'out-of-control' it is probably because you haven't yet learned how to control it.
    I thought I'd already explained that it's my patience with the process that was actually out of control... or at least worn a little thin.

I already have the story, complete and fully-formed, in my head. It's been there for quite a while now.

What I'm having to do is learn how to translate/transcribe it into written form... sort of like a person sitting down and reversing the process Hollywood usually uses, and converting a favorite and very-familiar movie into book form. Only not screwin' things up as badly as those people usually do.

Anyway, thanks for commenting... and giving me further practice and exercise in improving my writing and communicatin' skills.

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 10th, 2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

I think it's both for me. There are times when it's best to let the characters do their own thing, and their are times when it's best to find a way for them to get back to the opposite direction, somehow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123