Self editing

Thread: Self editing

Self editing

I'm using Hemingway to edit each page of my book, then MS Spell check. I look mainly for the hard to read and very hard to read sentences and fix those first. Then as for passive and adjectives I base that on the context of the paragraph/page or character. As several here do know, I was blindsided by a layoff on 10-30, so this is motivation to actually get my first book out there.
    So, is what I'm doing a good plan for self edit? I've already told my daughter and wife that they'll have to listen to me reading it.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Reading aloud is great, listen for anything that has you fluffing slightly or hesitating, if you can keep it flowing on a first read then there is a good chance of capturing other reader's attention. Spell check is a good tool, but remember there are things like homophones it won't pick up because there is another meaning than the intended one, someone else who will read through rather than listen is a good insurance.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I self-edit all my own stuff. It is possible, but it does take a LOT of work, and you have to keep going over it and over it and over it...

Self editing is easier if you are OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrath View Post
    I'm using Hemingway to edit each page of my book, then MS Spell check. I look mainly for the hard to read and very hard to read sentences and fix those first. Then as for passive and adjectives I base that on the context of the paragraph/page or character. As several here do know, I was blindsided by a layoff on 10-30, so this is motivation to actually get my first book out there.
    So, is what I'm doing a good plan for self edit? I've already told my daughter and wife that they'll have to listen to me reading it.

So sorry to hear about the layoff!

I'm not at all familiar with Hemingway, but I am familiar with Word.

I used to use it as a fourth check, after reading through myself (several times, including aloud), my writing partner read through (silently and aloud), then running Open Office spell check. I also used to recommend it on the forums.

Well, just last week I ran Word 2013 spell check on a piece of science fiction. It stopped at each and every one of the alien names, which I expected, but also made recommendations I knew were wrong!!

For example :
    "What was the programmer thinking?" Jack asked.

Word 2013 would have suggested :
    "What was the programmer thinking?" Jack asked?

Clearly wrong!

There were a couple other suggestions that didn't make sense to me.

So use Word, by all means, but keep your wits about you. It may be wrong.

Thanks JoT. Yes, everythung is viewed in context. My weakness is Spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

You can have your computer read it for you if you have Word or similar.

The problem with reading it yourself is that you know what should be written on the page, so your brain is liable to supply the correct word if one is missing. A computer can't fall into that trap.

HJC
    My novels Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content

How?

​Virgil

​ Mark Twain

For Word, it's the fourth icon along in the top left-hand corner, a speech bubble with a play arrow on it.
    My novels Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content