Self editing - Page 3

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self editing

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Nah, lots of good writers do their own editing, especially in the Indie market.

Editing isn't about making value judgements, its about finding and fixing technical mistakes, honing and polishing form, ensuring clarity. These are all technical matters that while some writers may not be capable of, others most certainly are.

I agree that another pair of eyes on work and some critique is often a good idea prior to unleashing it to the public at large but that's a different thing to editing.
    To me, the point of editing is to have something publish-worthy, i.e., something to unleash to the public at large. Why else would one edit?

Regardless of skill, the outside person to point out what's confusing to readers. * As the writer, too often things seem obvious that aren't to the reader.

Also many, especially new writers, do not have sufficient proficiency in grammar and/or spelling to edit for those. Early works should definitely be read by someone else to catch mistakes.

Just my opinions.

* -- like the missing words 'is needed', as in "the outside person is needed to point out what's confusing"
    Last edited by Jack of all trades; January 21st, 2019 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    And now you've just gone from writing to being published... which is two entirely different problems/tasks.

As far as coming up with ideas... Why do threads keep popping up along the lines of "I need ideas to write about!"?

Honestly, it seems to me you're talking about the difference between writing, and making a living at writing.

Not the same thing.
    The OP was specifically asking about editing to produce a saleable book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The OP was specifically asking about editing to produce a saleable book.
    I understand that.

But I also think that it's important to make the distinction between the two things.

A person can be a reasonably good writer and still produce all sorts of things that won't get published.

By the same token, a writer that's just 'Meh' can get things into print, and make money off of it.

A few minutes browsing a bookstore will verify this fact readily enough.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    I understand that.

But I also think that it's important to make the distinction between the two things.

A person can be a reasonably good writer and still produce all sorts of things that won't get published.

By the same token, a writer that's just 'Meh' can get things into print, and make money off of it.

A few minutes browsing a bookstore will verify this fact readily enough.

G.D.
    It's still a little off topic.

But if you want to discuss content, beta readers who are not cheerleaders are invaluable. I find those who are not writers are best. Ymmv.

Getting back to editing, though, having someone with good SPaG skills read it is important. I've not tried having the computer read it aloud to, hopefully, alert you to missing words. It might help. It might also alert you to typos. It won't catch everything, though. Homonyms will still be undetected, for example.

Self-editing is good. Also, proofreading is necessary to do for an author but if you can make someone else read your piece of writing then it's the best way to find out some errors in it.

Blog Entries
    My advice: buy a copy of Self Editing for Fiction Writers - How to Edit Yourself Into Print by Renni Browne and George King

my testament on this - it was one of the book among the materials for the course I'm taking with Institute for Writers. I cannot say enough about this book. The only thing I wish that they had done was spent more pages on internal monologue ( my weakness).

About the book, each chapter covers a different subject told in a type of casual conversation with a touch of humor

There's also these two books by Kristi Holl, one of my favorite writing instructors

Writer's First Aid: Getting Organized, Getting Inspired, and Sticking to It
    and
    More Writer's First Aid Getting the Writing Done.

I give you my word- if you don't get something out of these books, you can hit me over the head with one of Schrody's bananas
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

My advice is to get an editor.
    Self editing is for people who have experience writing (at least a half million words.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123