So, I can jump in and away.

Your molten metal and hidden oceans
    must make better sounds than this.

I hear Machiavelli every night.
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

hello - an engaging poem with interesting imagery and concepts clashing -

running (in America) is political? - and we have suits and Machiavelli
    but nothing else in the imagery seems to connect to anything meaningful.

and overall, a feeling of despair.......................Ned
    Last edited by ned; November 4th, 2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: pennies dropping

Blog Entries
    Thanks, ned. The title "Running in America" is a double entandre. Yes, it's political in regards to politicians running for office. As well, (I speak for myself) my wanting run away from what is becoming Fascism in America.

I don't know how much of our news is being broadcasted Over the Pond but everyday there are uprisings - bomb threats, violence, captivity and now mass murder.

we have suits and Machiavelli but nothing else in the imagery seems to connect to anything meaningful.
    Re: "Imagery". Here, I'm exculsively dealing with metaphor and personification. You know I'm a "hound' for imagery but I saw little place for it concerning what I wanted to impart.

All that follows has to do with what is becoming close to common place in the U.S. Here, I caustically minimize the atrocities.

Bombs are junk mail- Packaged bombs sent to prominate Democratic officials via mail. Just your everyday mail flyers.
    Shackles are shoe laces - Supression re-visited by White Nationalists/Alt Right. Such massive discrimination is of little consiquence. Like learning to tie a shoe.
    Bone saws are dinningware - Saudi reporter dismembered and killed by bone saw in Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Covered up because of the U.S. Arms Deal with Saudi Arabia. Just "dine" and talk about the Economy.
    Cages are playpens -Trump's migrant seperation policy: Children placed "in "cages" in Texas..
    Hate wears suits - You got it and HATE is everywhere.
    Vermin wear yarmulkes - During WW11, Jews were called "vermin". Referring to the mass murder of Jews in Pittsburg while praying in their synagogue.
    Flame wears winter hoods - The KKK is out and ready.

overall, a feeling of despair

Yes, Ned. We who value Democracy and Decency are all in a state of despair.

Thank you for reading and sharing your points. Much appreciated. Laurie
    Last edited by SilverMoon; November 4th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Andre Breton

Good one, Laurie. It was all plain to me, and sometimes an anvil needs to be dropped (to get people's attention).
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Tony. During this history making time which shakes me to the core, language is the anvil. It's the everyday speech, repetition of simple words, phrases that draws appeal to the un-politician politition. This is why so many are paying attention, not even knowing how keen they are being engaged. A kind of subliminal effect.

Interesting article I found:

"Trump: Language of Populism"
    https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/researc...-populism.aspx

Then -

"Language - "The Power to Degrade Truth Itself"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/o...-.html?mcubz=0

I think we writers would find the above interesting in any context. Laurie
    Last edited by SilverMoon; November 5th, 2018 at 03:46 AM.
    Andre Breton

Dine / dining, the double consonant is used to separate the following vowel and maintain the preceding vowel sound, as with pin and pinning, drop the 'e' and use a single consonant in words like pine and pining. Sorry, just been reading about teaching children spelling and the use of 'rules' rather than rote learning. Apparently that 'e' was once pronounced, a sound a bit similar to the 'a' on the end of sofa, though I suppose that only counts in words already in use by around 1500 when they started dropping it.

Yes, we do get the news over here, do you hear the news from here? the drift right seems pretty universal, look at Sweden and Germany, I also am horrified. We had a referendum about leaving the European community recently, all the arguments I heard seemed to be economic, 'we can make more money', as opposed to 'we can get rid of foreigners taking jobs'. When it was first posited in 1946 it was about 'Let's set up system that will help us avoid any more mass killings like the last two', nobody seemed to mention that, prepare for the next European war, given we all have nukes it might be the last.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    It was all plain to me.
    a bit harsh Midnight, some parts were quite lyrical....

thank you Silver, for taking the time to explain things..................Ned

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Ollly Buckle Sorry, just been reading about teaching children spelling and the use of 'rules' rather than rote learning.
    Just call me a toddler because the all of what your reading is way over my head! But will give it another read and might grow up to be a kid! Thanks for sharing.

I also am horrified. We had a referendum about leaving the European community recently, all the arguments I heard seemed to be economic, 'we can make more money'
    Seems money makes the world go round - the bend.

in 1946 it was about 'Let's set up system that will help us avoid any more mass killings like the last two', nobody seemed to mention that, prepare for the next European war, given we all have nukes it might be the last.
    I agree. WW111 just might be on the horizon. And it seems we no longer have a Republican Party. We have a "Leader". Tony Schwartz (ghost writer for "The Art of the Deal") knows him better than anyone. He said that if Trump was an Emporer it would be the end of Civilization. No such title needed it seems.

And, no. Unfortunately we don't get much drift of your news over here. It's to BBC. Now, glued to CNN and MSNBC. Forget FOX (aptly named)
    Last edited by SilverMoon; November 5th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Andre Breton

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Ned thank you Silver, for taking the time to explain things
    You are very welcome. Sure you don't want to fly out here for a holiday?
    Andre Breton

America? - that's too big for me............I'd feel lost!

you lot voted for Trump, and we voted for Brexit - bloody democracy eh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast