How to learn a new genre?

Thread: How to learn a new genre?

How to learn a new genre?

What do you do to quickly learn the defining tropes, beats, and flow of a genre or subgenre you are less familiar with? For marketing, I am trying to learn what the different categories demand.

Blog Entries
    I take my time and explore the books that are out there in the new genre (new to me that is).
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

I think the best way to learn is to read widely and deeply in the genre, but you can take some shortcuts by reading blogs or other "craft" writing by people doing well in the genre you're exploring.

Get anthologies with stories of the genre you like. Sign up for magazines with stories you identify with strong on a philosophical editorial perspective on what a story is and which carry new writer's voices. I am myself will consider subscribing to science fiction and fantasy magazine and maybe asimov. I havent done so in a long time. In fact monthly subcriptions to a magazine could prove worthwhile. Especially if you write for the short fiction market. Check what genres and subgenres they publish. To get a better idea of what they tend to publish in the marketplace it may prove a useful writer habit to read as much fiction. Which is why I am interested, in signing up to as many magazines as I would like or reading prolifically is the best writing habit besides practicing writing skills.

My one regret is not signing up to enough magazines. Because exposure to reading many genres is a good thing. I can read short stories because they have some advantages over novels. For someome who has a difficult time with the long fiction market it could be worthwhile.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 2nd, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: .
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)