Fascinating video if you need a sci-fi idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fascinating video if you need a sci-fi idea

Found this on the tube, It's a study of what Proxima B could be (the nearest planet) to earth.

There is a section where they theorize that it may be tidally locked to the star (a red dwarf, so it is very close).

So if that were the case, then you'd have a planet where one side was always daytime, and the other was always night. Imagine if you had creatures evolve on each side of the planet. One would be the unicorn side, sunny creatures. And the other could the nightmare side.

I watched the video and thought it was a great video for budding sci-fi writers.
    I liked it so much I practically beat off to it.
    Geek out, kids!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR8HIDJsaHA

Perhaps the other way around could work too. Why do we always think light and dark are good and evil?
    If we surround ourselves with 'yes' people, how can we grow.

true dat. Some studies claim that humanity was more cooperative during times of lower temps. Could be the peaceniks are the dark side species, and the war mongers are the sunny-side up people.

Still, you would have 2 completely different worlds on one sphere. Not like Earth where the whole planet gets sun, on a tidally-locked planet one side faces the sun always, and one side faces darkness always. The life forms on the planet would have evolved for those environments.

Perhaps we could flesh out a world here?

The first question i'd ask is whether the light and dark species evolved independently on other sides of the world, or they have a common ancestor that evolved in the eternal dusk where light and dark meet. The latter is far more realistic according to current scientific thought so really we'd be deciding whether this world is realistic or fantastical.

Shall we assume: 1G? Tidally locked but is there a processional wobble? Moons?

And that is the $64 question: Would these 2 halves share a common ancestor or did they evolve from different slime pools? I'd lean towards the same slime pool, and they branched at plant stage. Either way, they'd be so far apart as to be completely alien to each other. It'd be like Pitch Black.

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Y'all wanna see that light side/dark side thing played out in a way not so permanent as a tidally-locked planet, watch the movie Pitch Black.

Those "Dark Side" critters are no damn fun at all.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

Actually the more I think about it, the less likely that life would be conceived on the frozen side of the planet.
    In theory you have higher chances of creating life in a warm/hot environment where liquids flow easily than you would where it is frozen solid.

So more likely life would originate on the warm side, and migrate to the dark side.
    Still, after a few million years of evolution, the creatures would be quite different...even alien to one another.
    The cold-side inhabitants would likely be hardier, used to working harder for the same food.
    Cold-siders would prolly be smaller than their sunny side comrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Actually the more I think about it, the less likely that life would be conceived on the frozen side of the planet.
    In theory you have higher chances of creating life in a warm/hot environment where liquids flow easily than you would where it is frozen solid.

So more likely life would originate on the warm side, and migrate to the dark side.
    Still, after a few million years of evolution, the creatures would be quite different...even alien to one another.
    The cold-side inhabitants would likely be hardier, used to working harder for the same food.
    Cold-siders would prolly be smaller than their sunny side comrades.
    I dunno... Even here on earth we have critters living right next to undersea volcanic vents that would cook most other life forms, but they get along just fine. And at the other end of the extreme are animals that survive in frozen environments, and generate their own anti-freeze that circulates through their bodies.

And that's not even taking into consideration that life elsewhere might be generated under a whole different set of rules, and use an entirely different chemistry than anything here does.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

But if the dark side of the planet is frozen solid then there is a lower probability of life springing forth. Liquid cannot flow if it is frozen. Thermal vents could spawn life indeed, but those creatures would likely exist under a sheet of ice, never to interact with the warm world.

Or, that could be it; they have leviathans living under the ice of the cold side, and when they get hungry they swim around to the warm side and get some carryout. Their insulation would make them extremely hard to kill, and once they retreat to the dark side I doubt anyone would chase them. It'd be a nightmare on that side of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    But if the dark side of the planet is frozen solid then there is a lower probability of life springing forth. Liquid cannot flow if it is frozen. Thermal vents could spawn life indeed, but those creatures would likely exist under a sheet of ice, never to interact with the warm world.
    Not much chance of the dark side bein' froze solid, if the planet has an atmosphere. Convection alone would assure some spots at least warm enough for some chemicals - maybe even water, if there's salt or other minerals in it - to stay liquid.

...and as you say, there's always under the ice.

Speaking of which I've seen a fairly recent movie where some people went to Venus, I believe, and got into all sorts of trouble due to that very thing.

Nope, just checked; it was Jupiter's moon, Europa: Europa Report (2013)

( Saw it on NetFlix, btw. )

So who knows... Science Fiction today, Science Fact tomorrow?

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast