Fascinating video if you need a sci-fi idea - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    By the way, Ralph, have you thought about what the weather would be like on a planet like that, if it does have an atmosphere? Especially at the margins between the light and dark sides?

...not the sort of spot you even wanna plan a day trip for, much less make any long-term plans for habitation.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

But that's all based on, as you said GD, our rules for life.

We only think we know the rules for life spawning. Fantasy and fiction have beings made of energy, of light and such, so there could be millions of different ways life could form on a planet like that. We just dont have the science or imagination to think of it.

Hell, the life on the planet could be the wind, clouds or other things we see as natural events, able to traverse both sides of the planet without consequence, viewing the world below.
    If we surround ourselves with 'yes' people, how can we grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    I dunno... Even here on earth we have critters living right next to undersea volcanic vents that would cook most other life forms, but they get along just fine. And at the other end of the extreme are animals that survive in frozen environments, and generate their own anti-freeze that circulates through their bodies.

And that's not even taking into consideration that life elsewhere might be generated under a whole different set of rules, and use an entirely different chemistry than anything here does.
    I have seen it posited that life originated in such vents and adapted to our more temperate world later. That is why scientists get excited about a geyser on an ice covered moon (of Saturn?), it could point to life beneath the ice.

Some rules for life seem better than just 'That's the way it is here'. Spectroscopes show which chemicals can combine at star distances, silicone seems to be the only one that could possibly make complex and varied enough compounds to make life, besides carbon of course, and if it did it would have to be very hot, you will never get to shake hands with a silicone based life-form
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Some rules for life seem better than just 'That's the way it is here'. Spectroscopes show which chemicals can combine at star distances, silicone seems to be the only one that could possibly make complex and varied enough compounds to make life, besides carbon of course, and if it did it would have to be very hot, you will never get to shake hands with a silicone based life-form
    Yep, based on what we currently know, that's all true.

However, I'm of a mind that what we know probably isn't all that much, when it comes right down to it... and that sooner or later something else - some other bit of information we don't have and don't even know is there to have - could change everything we think we know.

As for shaking hands with a silicon-based life-form... I don't expect it to ever happen either.

...but I'm certainly not gonna argue with he/she/it if it ever does, and try to convince it that it can't or doesn't exist.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12