The problem with much of horror fiction - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The problem with much of horror fiction

Giovanni Boccacio's "Decameron" would be another recommended read. It gives a very detailed and graphic account of the Black Death in Florence written by a first-hand witness in the introductory chapter, the whole premise of the book being a group of wealthy youths hiding away from the plague in a remote villa and entertaining each other with the following mostly light-hearted stories to distract themselves from thoughts of impending doom. While it only touches on the plague in the opening chapter, it is the incurable and deadly pestilence that sets the tone for the entire book that follows, and gives a valuable insight into the minds of Medieval Europeans who had to personally deal with it.

I find weird fiction to be a nice substitute for standard horror fiction. It's filled with a lot of atmosphere and makes you think more than conventional horror as it is more about what isn't shown, than what is. I always think horror works better when it comes from a psychological place rather than werewolves, zombies and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    What about examples from literature? All i can think of is War of the Worlds, and in that case disease was our saviour.
    There's "The Plague" by Albert Camus.
    Follow me on Hidden Content and check out my novels.

Not to mention The Masque of the Red Death.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBraysy View Post
    There's "The Plague" by Albert Camus.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Not to mention The Masque of the Red Death.
    The Stand, by King. Can't forget Capt'n Trips!
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    The Andromeda Strain. Both a better book than the cited and a better film than 'Outbreak'.
    While The Andromeda Strain was about an alien pathogen that got into circulation but could apparently be destroyed, The Satan Bug was about an indestructible man-made pathogen that had been stolen and could potentially be released by the thief. It was eventually recovered safely but that just left mankind back where it was before with a horrendous event just waiting for an opportunity to happen. Which is the better form of horror though, graphic descriptions of what does happen or implications of what could? Equally, does a man-made threat that cannot be overcome induce more horror in the mind than an alien one that can?

The Satan Bug was a novel written by Alistair Maclean and published under the pseudonym Ian Stuart originally. There was also a film version.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBraysy View Post
    Few horror novels have scared me. It seems like the horror genre is lacking in originality. Out of every tenth book I pick up, nine of them will be about one of the following: vampires, ghosts, zombies, wherevolves and creepy japanese girls with long hair.

Where's the originality among horror novelists? I just picked up a collection of mangas by Junji Ito, and the guy is just exploding with ideas. Here's just a small sample of what he offers: A family turning into grease and developing extreme acne that the brother uses to torture his sister with, a town becomming obsessed with the geometric shape of a spiral, baloons inticing people to hang themselves and so on...

Are ghosts and vampires really the best thing novelists can offer? Am I just not looking hard enough? Good horror should, in my opinion, create an ambiguity of threat, feelings of absurdity, and a sense of being up against something beyond human understanding.
    I doubt you’re looking at all.

With the best will in the world, to disparage horror as an entire genre while simultaneously holding up the supposed originality of a manga makes no sense. There are more horror writers worldwide than there are manga artists probably by a double digit ratio...so the likelihood of more original contemporary horror being found in manga is virtually zero.

The problem therefore seems to be not with the originality of the genre but with your (in)ability to find stuff you like? I find that hard to understand given the internet and the ubiquity of horror literature forums but OK. Either way, that makes this actually not a topic of discussion of the health of horror so much as you asking for book recommendations, correct?

You mentioned - kind of - the type of horror you like. No expert in the field nor your personal preferences but I would check out a novelist called Jack Ketchum. I consider him an equally good writer and a far better storyteller than Stephen King and his work tends to be more humanistic than paranormal - he tends toward a particular focus on psychopathy - but it’s definitely absent of vampires and the like. “The Girl Next Door” is probably his most famous book, based on a true story, and “Off Season”, a personal favorite, about a cannibals who lurk near a resort town.

Again, don’t understand or agree with your premise whatsoever. All I have to do is go to Goodreads and search horror and relativelg little werewolves, vampires, and actually no creepy Japanese girls pop up. Honestly I think the genre is probably more diverse now than it ever has been. But you’re entitled to your view. Good luck.

Hi everyone. I think it is just popular nowadays. There are a lot of horror movies, horror novels, and even games because of more and more people like that genre. The most popular is about zombies and post-apocalyptic things

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123