Writing Forums Dying?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing Forums Dying?

Writing Forums Dying?

Hi guys I've been wondering if the general fiction and poetry sections of this forum are dying out a bit. There has hardly been any posts in the past few months. Granted, I haven't posted much either but a short story I posted 5 months ago is still on the second page of general fiction. What is your guys take on the reasons for this?

Cheers.

Every now and then we get a similar question and it always amazes me, number of posts fluctuate, like the tide. It has always been that way.
    You say you haven't been here much yourself, I'd say dive in and do something about it? The question you ask is a negative one. Now do something positive.

MrTickle, for one who averages roughly one post for every 12 days it looks like you could be a little more active yourself.

I think Mr. Tickle's question was asked in an appropriate manner, and was a little surprised at the responses given. I, too, have noticed a decline in some areas of the site, and while I haven't been moved to mention it, I think any member coming out and asking a simply question deserves something more than criticism for their own activity.

The question you ask is a negative one. Now do something positive.
    I don't think the question was negative -
    What is your guys take on the reasons for this?
    Mr. Tickle, I come here every day in the hopes of being engaged in a discussion or - if I have the time - some critique. I, too, have noticed the activity seems less than in past months, but like all things on the Internet, there seems to be times when that is the case. I typically haunt General Fiction and Writing Discussion, and sometimes the work or interactions seem beyond my knowledge, and I don't feel I can contribute. On the other hand, sometimes I surprise myself by just jumping in! And maybe that is what we all need to do to keep the momentum going.

Anyway, you are a valued member and I am happy to hear from you!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    Every now and then we get a similar question and it always amazes me, number of posts fluctuate, like the tide. It has always been that way.
    You say you haven't been here much yourself, I'd say dive in and do something about it? The question you ask is a negative one. Now do something positive.

I'd say a negative question would be more like "What's the point in posting anymore?"

Asking people for their thoughts on why there's a lull in activity could actually be interesting or even useful.

-Maybe there's a yearly pattern to posting levels.
    -NaNo starts soon, maybe some writers are taking a break to prepare.
    -Maybe there has been a shift in the number of active users recently.
    -Maybe events and changes in the forum have affected posting levels.
    -Maybe the perception of this being a poetry focused forum (i.e. the poetry gymkhana debacle) is a problem for the fiction boards.
    -Maybe our current user base likes the challenges and keeps other work for themselves.
    -Maybe there isn't enough critique to sustain the forum (e.g. people should attempt 3 crits for each of their own works they post.)
    -Maybe the negativity towards recurrent "forum fluff" means people are more reluctant to comment.
    ​[REDACTED]

Totally valid question - as are all questions. To me, Writing Discussion seems to have been pretty busy - I mean, it's not every day that one of my threads generates 45 - 45! - responses. Comparatively this forum is more active than some, though I am conscious we have lost a number of active members. But perhaps the fiction forums have gone quieter than usual and maybe usage has in general. I don't have any stats so I wouldn't know. Maybe the current crop have learned what they needed and and are now busy producing that bestseller. That and, I suppose, in an age of social media and in life in general, people drift on.

Opinion poll: as a member, what would you like to see more of (or indeed less of) that would tempt you back more often?

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by James 剣 斧 血 View Post
    Maybe the negativity towards recurrent "forum fluff" means people are more reluctant to comment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHO42e33b6a-b418-11e3-a2db-7fdf8699e667-805x453.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	22845

Yo, first word that comes to mind, m*********er!

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Would that we all had the muse of constancy, a spirit whispering daily into our inner ear cajoling us to put pen to paper, finger to keyboard or voice to recorder - I have nonesuch, my muse is a fickle thing, often whispering in my ear at most inapprpriate moments, when I'm in no position to make notes...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

I think you should try to critique more pieces and you should get some feedback.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

In the lean times, be grateful for the hand-full of people who post regularly and are obviously checking daily. They keep the issues alive. And Mr. Tickle--you have every right to ask your question, but it IS also legitimate to express regret that we are denied the pleasure of more frequent visits from you.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast